ufc fighter vs boxing?

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by tampa, Jun 17, 2007.

1. El Matador

El Matador Your Boxing Authority Full Member

Apr 17, 2006
    I'd like to see Fedor Emelianko try and take down "The Russian Giant" Nicolai Valuev.

Not that I doubt he could, I'm just saying it would be a hellavu circus, to see "The Russian Giant" try his hand in MMA.

2. coog

coog Active Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Valuev may not be able to beat Fedor in a pure striking match.

3. coog

coog Active Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2008
    I didn't forget wrestling, I mentioned that it is easier to become effective in boxing than wrestling. I have coached wrestling as well as karate. People that box really donot understand wrestlers at all. They think that they will just walk out there and hit someone and they will fall down. they donot realize that wrestlers have footwork and strategies as well. We haven't heard anymore talk about PBF going into MMA have we.

4. El Matador

El Matador Your Boxing Authority Full Member

Apr 17, 2006
    I've seen Valuev live (in Chicago)- the guy has a couple of things going for him, obviously he's huge and tall, but he's strong and has sound technique. Not a huge puncher, but a good one.

Problem is he's slow, sometimes plodding and doesn't throw combinations enough.

So saying Fedor might even take him in a striking match is not unreasonable (especially if he's alowed to kick, which would spell the end for Valuev).

But Valuev is a TALL order for anyone!!!:D

5. Beebs

Beebs Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Look what Choi has done in K1, Choi is basically Valuev with none of the timing or skill, he entered K1 with no real experience in any striking art at all; Valuev would do alot better than Choi.

6. Smirf

Smirf Lets get ready to rumble Full Member

Feb 20, 2008
    boxer wins standup...mma artist wins ground

7. sugarngold

sugarngold RIDDUM Full Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Kudos for an excellent post. :good:good:good

8. codeman99998

codeman99998 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Depends on the MMA fighter and your definition of "standup".

I would imagine Anderson Silva beats any LHW boxer in a pure standup striking match. Let's see RJJ defend the plum.

9. Sweet Pea

Sweet Pea Obsessed with Boxing banned

Dec 26, 2007
    :lol:

10. birddog

birddog Active Member Full Member

Dec 1, 2005
    This **** is so old. The two sports have such different rules and requirements as there is no point to it.

Only solution is to go back to UFC 1, or some other no holds bared type fighting. Which would never be sanctioned.

So that leaves;

It could happen on an island somewhere or in some mountains, financed by some industrialist or evil drug / arms dealer. Or maybe a secret society fighting in basements or warehouses, that's the ticket, maybe even to the death.

Hmm hasn't this been in a movie or twelve, btw the good guy wins.

11. birddog

Dec 1, 2005
    As for RJJ v Silva being big money I don't see it.

It's a sidehow type deal. No way Roy is going to fight without boxing rules. He can make more against any top standing LH, without the risk of a freak loss to any mma guy.

The math just doesn't work.

12. birddog

Dec 1, 2005
    Okay then let him fight them, you expect Silva to beat any current top ten lhw? He see money in RJJ's name obviously, but do you really think he can beat a top ten LHW, boxing rules.

13. Beebs

Beebs Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 21, 2007
    He said "standup" not boxing, which would include different kickboxing rulesets like Muay Thai and Shootboxing.

If Silva is allowed to kick, clinch, elbow, and knee he would probably injure RJJ to the point of ending his career. A hard kick to a leg with all its weight planted on somebody who isn't familiar with how to check them can do serious damage to the knee.