UK Boxing

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scissors, Jun 13, 2022.

1. Astro

Astro Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    The boxers are the winners because they can play the promoters against each other.

2. sniffmybadger

sniffmybadger Relationships are not my forte Full Member

Jan 20, 2010
    And people wonder why UFC is taking over

UKboxingfan, 305th and Astro like this.
  3. Murderers' Row

Murderers' Row Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Most of the UFC fans I know also tend to watch the boxing. The big fights anyway.

Astro and moog like this.
  4. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    These days I find the boxing is an unwelcome distraction from the exciting arguments between promoters about contracts and broadcast deals. A couple more streaming services should make it impossible to ever see anyone fight someone else due to network commitments and finally we can focus on the stuff that matters. :argue:

Wig, Finkel, Wizbit1013 and 1 other person like this.
  5. No idea

No idea Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2021
    Just had a look at the summer line up on all platforms. It's abysmal.
    There is not 1 show and very few fights I'm excited for .

Here's Johnny likes this.
  6. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Seemed every couple of weeks from about 2012/13 until about 2019 there were good or at least decent shows you’d happily sit in and watch. People I’d like to watch and get behind. The middle of that time ruined it a bit because they just gave up on normal fight nights and everything went to PPV. Ok, many of the undercards in particular had a few mis matches on but there were at least names and talents in good fights to be interested in.

Bleak and dull time for the sport in Britain at the moment. I enjoyed the Liam Davies vs Leach fight the other night. That level and then type of titles has always been where the entertainment and genuine close fights are but promoters/broadcasters aren’t into giving us it. Too many people want to see a name beat up a 100/1 man or have the genuine world class super fights. There has to be happy mediums in my opinion.

7. aaaaa

aaaaa Ash banned Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Agree mate, it’s woeful at the minute especially in the UK.

Here's Johnny likes this.
  8. 305th

305th Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 28, 2018
    No chance, they view it as a corrupt boomer-tier entertainment. If they did, we wouldn't be in the pickle we're in. Boxing has become an entertainment industry first, a sport second and non-boxing fans know it.

Boxing was a niche sport as far back as the early 2000's this side of the Atlantic. The BBC threw it a lifeline in 2004 with deals post Olympics with Khan, Haye, Froch, Harrison et al, then when that was pulled it slowly drifted into obscurity.

Enter UFC hitting the mainstream and it's game over.

Just like banks should have been allowed to fail in 2008, any boxing fan that pays £60 to watch a PPV is just perpetuating the drawn out process.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  9. Murderers' Row

Murderers' Row Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Most people "I" know old bean.

10. NasalSpray

NasalSpray Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2018
    last fight I watched was Fury Wilder 3.

11. UKboxingfan

UKboxingfan Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Really is so poor, literally nothing to look forward to anymore. So disappointing. I wouldn’t say boxing fans deserve much though, look at how a fighter gets turned on when he steps up and loses. Attitudes need to change in boxing, and that’s all across the board I think.

aaaaa likes this.
  12. BoxingAddick

BoxingAddick Active Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Time. Its not all that bad but is clearly worse than what it was 10 years ago where you cpuld legit say there was a genuine world title challenger from the uk in most weight classes but that was a peak for UK boxing.

13. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Tad dramatic… world title challenger in every division ???

Heavy - fury, AJ, whyte
    Cruiser - Okolie, Riakporhe on verge,
    Light heavy - smith, buatsi, Yarde
    Super middle - Ryder, Parker
    Middle - Eubank, cash, Williams
    Super welter - smith
    Welter - Benn,
    Super light- Taylor, Catterall
    Light - Hughes, burns
    Super feather - cordina, Barrett, Galahad
    Feather - wood, Warrington, dogboe
    Super bantam - tight but Cunningham yafai
    Bantam - butler, Edwards, McGregor
    Super fly - first gap
    Fly - Edwards.

That is far more title challengers than we had 10 years ago, 10 years ago Stuart hall was a world champion.

we are much better off in terms of number. The back great difference is the demand and providers putting out boxing content has vastly increased in terms of nomber of providers and money invested. Before Sky had 3/4 world champions that they told you were the greatest fighters in British boxing. Now you have plenty and the narrative gets lost. Depth of talent is vastly superior. Only have to see that the likes of sunny Edwards who is a very strong world champion that fights effectively on YouTube in front of 500 people. If he was a Sky fighter with no other networks pushing boxing we would be being told he’s the next prince Naseem

Holler and BoxingAddick like this.
  14. aaaaa

aaaaa Ash banned Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    That list shows how crap it is.

15. Dancoyr

Dancoyr Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    It’s a saturated market, fighters on 4 or 5 different platforms. Needs to be two.

Plaistow and aaaaa like this.