Underrated upset victories

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by brigante9, Apr 4, 2018.

1. brigante9

brigante9 New Member Full Member

Apr 3, 2018
    for me a big upset win that gets underrated is Chris Byrd outlasting and forcing Vitali Klitschko to quit another one is Antonio Tarver knocking out an unbeaten Roy Jones

Gazelle Punch likes this.
  2. richdanahuff

richdanahuff Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2013
    S.T. Gordon KO2 Carlos DeLeon

3. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005

If you watch wlads previous fight vs Jennings, you would have seen his reflexes and speed had vastly deteriorated...he was definiteLy over the hill when he fought Fury. Nice win by Fury, but a wlads five years younger wins that fight. Especially with steward. Banks is a horrible trainer.

Of course, Fury ducked the rematch

The Long Count likes this.
  4. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Ralph "Tiger" Jones putting a whupping on comebacking Sugar Ray Robinson.
    1955-01-19 : Sugar Ray Robinson 159 lbs lost to Ralph Jones 159 lbs by UD in round 10 of 10
    • Unofficial AP scorecard: 95-99
    • Robinson was an 8-1 favorite.
    • There was a crowd of 7,282 at Chicago Stadium.
    • The gross gate was $27,419 and the net gate was $22,778.
    • Robinson was cut on the nose in round one and on the right eyelid in round two.
    • Jones landed 322 of 407 punches (57%) and Robinson landed 176 of 514 (34%).
    • The Associated Press reported: "The former welterweight and middleweight titleholder...who started his comeback after 30 months as a song-and-dance entertainer by kayoing Joe Rindone two weeks ago, was handed the worst beating of his career by Jones....Time and again, Tiger drove Robinson into the ropes and mauled him pitifully."

http://boxrec.com/en/event/16530/23535

Titan1, Sphillips and Jel like this.
  5. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Listen, it’s not opinion. It’s a fact Wlad showed serious signs of speed and reflexes deterioration against Jennings. And against Fury, he needed to be at 100% physical peak to beat him and he wasn’t anywhere near that. Credit to fury for still beating a very good fighter in there, but fury would have been in a whole different fight with the Wlad of five years younger

richdanahuff likes this.
  6. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    But all that deterioration was there, and more, when he fought Joshua, and he had Banks as his trainer (who I don't think is that bad, but I'm not sure Wlad had enough respect for).

Also Fury didn't duck the rematch, there was never a reason to, just turning up he would have made more money than he did for the rest of his career. He obviously had a ton of problems that stopped it happening

7. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    Chisora Vs Helenius. People were talking about Helenius being the successor to the Klitschkos before that.

There's lots of old ones that aren't so much underrated as forgotten too. I'll maybe post some.

emallini likes this.
  8. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I always thought Claude Noel over redhot Gato Gonzales was big. Then Frias over Noel. Back in 81, both were big.

Titan1 and red cobra like this.
  9. Sting like a bean

Sting like a bean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    I'm not a Klitschko fan, but that is not what happened, and you know that. Good lord, how stubborn some people are.

KO KIDD likes this.
  10. Sting like a bean

Apr 9, 2017
    I'll say Reggie Johnson, who was the first to beat James Toney but did not get the decision he should have. Doesn't get much more underrated than that.

Jpreisser likes this.
  11. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    It was an injury, but I'm not convinced it was bad enough he couldn't have gone through a few more rounds, he was against a former middleweight, and it was for a world strap.

12. Sting like a bean

Apr 9, 2017
    If it really was a rotator cuff injury, I promise you it was definitely serious enough, and then some. If you're going to be skeptical, be skeptical that the injury was real or accurately reported.

Sphillips likes this.
  13. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    I don't know, I've actually had a rotator cuff injury, and it wasn't that bad.

Some rotator cuff tears aren't even painfull at all, but just cause weakness etc.
    https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/rotator-cuff-tears/

The way people talk about it sometimes, you'd think his shoulder was hanging out

14. Sting like a bean

Apr 9, 2017
    "A fact is a verifiable truth. "

An intersubjective appeal to shared perception can be, for all intents and purposes, a fact, if the phenomenon being perceived is obvious enough. I would say "Ali has faster hands than Foreman" is such a fact. The grey area comes where some people's perceptions are much keener than others. Does your definition of fact require that nearly anyone can recognize it as such?

15. Sting like a bean

Apr 9, 2017
    Sure, but if the claim is that the available evidence favors the conclusion that Klischko was faking or exaggerating his injury, I think the burden of proof is squarely on you. What's relevant is how bad the injury might have been in potentsia.