Unpopular opinion but this fight showed that Canelo still struggles with slick movers

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by MarkusFlorez99, May 8, 2021.

1. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Saunders gave him some serious issues in the middle rounds. I even had saunders schooling him in one of those rounds. He figured Saunders out eventually though so credit where credit is due

mpg, Showstopper97, shza and 4 others like this.
  2. Ricdog

Ricdog Active Member Full Member

Apr 10, 2015
    Up until he catches them cold. He is too slick to the body, will always slow down any mover.

Ph33rknot, UKboxingfan and Sap1en like this.
  3. Boxing Prospect

Boxing Prospect Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 10, 2012
    Bust up the face and made a slick southpaw quit in a ring so big you could have a 12 person orgy...

Ph33rknot, puncherschance and Sap1en like this.
  4. Sammy123

Sammy123 Money Maker Staff Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Well, he did figure out the slick mover and timed that uppercut perfectly. And in the beginning of the fight it was Saunders who was missing more of his shots. So not really.

wassupjg, h8me, Ph33rknot and 8 others like this.
  5. SquaredCircle

SquaredCircle Active Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    He'd never have the feet or front-foot activity or inside activity once he closes the gap to beat the truly great historical movers. Guys like Hopkins or Ward would soundly beat him. It's a limitation to a degree, but against today's crop, his timing, body shots, and explosiveness allow him to dominate. And he'll grind down Plant too.

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  6. Goran_

Goran_ Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 27, 2018
    Saunders blew that fight, he was ahead.. he should have stayed disciplined, he started getting cocky & planting his feet more, that was his downfall, his own machismo & lack of discipline.. I don't even think that was the sharpest Billy Joe Saunders I've seen either… I've seen him much crisper than that before. What an idiot.. Goading & clowning against Clenelo.. he'll kick himself forever, he clearly had the skills to more than match Canelo.

Maidanas Gun Tattoo likes this.
  7. Lesion of Doom

Lesion of Doom Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Of course you would not expect Canelo to win every round against a world class opponent. Not sure that this style was especially problematic for him, though.

MagicE, sasto and Boxing Prospect like this.
  8. MorvidusStyle

MorvidusStyle Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Canelo doesn't mind these days. He's magically found a way to decisively damage bigger men with single power punches. So he knows he can take it easy and get given every close round, conserve energy, then wait to land a few big punches.

It's like being Wilder but you get given the inactive rounds too. Nice setup for him.

9. MarkusFlorez99

Jan 13, 2021
    He made Canelo miss a lot and made him look like a stiff plodder in those mid rounds. But it clearly wasn't enough

shza and Maidanas Gun Tattoo like this.
  10. pepsiclassic

pepsiclassic Active Member Full Member

Aug 7, 2019
    he def has problems with slick movers. this was NOT the best saunders. the best version of saunders would have won it was clear he's lost a step or didnt show up

11. Scott Cork

Scott Cork Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 3, 2021
    Saunders was beating Canelo and got paid to quit. Call me a Canelo hater I don't give a ****

12. LuciferFallen

LuciferFallen New Member Full Member

Mar 31, 2018
    According to BJS fans winning 1 round equals 5

wassupjg and MarkusFlorez99 like this.
  13. FirstJab

FirstJab New Member Full Member

Apr 17, 2021
    Canelo was cruising, under 10 mins he knew his number

14. Scorpion

Scorpion Boxing Addict Full Member

May 9, 2006

2 of the judges gave BJS only 2 rounds, another gave him 3.

When you are fighting Canelo, you are fighting 3 judges as well.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  15. MarkusFlorez99

Jan 13, 2021
    Canelo figured him out. He timed Saunders head movement with a counter uppercut quite similar to how Ruddock timed Mike Tysons head movement with his smash punch.