Unpopular Opinion: Fury Vs Joshua

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Yaiyr Alexander, Dec 2, 2020.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Fury isn`t as aggressive as Ruiz and doesn`t throw as many counter hooks on the inside.

2. Yaiyr Alexander

Yaiyr Alexander Member banned Full Member

Sep 3, 2020
    Im not saying his guard is up im saying when joshua will go for body blows fury will move his arms to protect his mid section. Joshua going for exposed areas not his arms fury's body is vulnerable. by the time Ajs in the pocket with fury If body blows actually dont land he can use a lead left hook. Fury probably would evade that but at that point Ajs already on the inside. When that happens I guarantee furys going to clinch. What else would he do. All he did was clinch against derek chisora when he got on the inside. Every single time. Chisora was at a huge size and reach disadvantage so he couldn't do anything in the clinches. Joshua is big enough and definitely strong enough to throw fury off. He can rough him up in the clinches and make fury less comfortable. Thats what you do against outboxers you come forward and upset their rhythm. If fury does indeed keep joshua in the clinches he wont be able to do much else he's not a good inside fighter.

And wilder isnt Aj. He landed so little to his head because he threw one punch at a time and he did this at long range with played into furys strengths. Thats all fury had to worry about. 1 punch. 1 right hand coming from long range. Aj has more tools and is fundamentally sound

Parker is a good inside fighter and ESPECIALLY povetkin. they're shorter than joshua and had fast hands and povetkin was powerful as well so he gave Aj trouble on the inside which is why Aj was very cautious and threw less punches. He'll definitely let his hands go more against fury by far. And most times parker was in the pocket with aj reff split it up. The trend im seeing is fighters with the opposite physical dimensions and somewhat opposite style of fury give Aj trouble. Similar to how carlos takkam the shorter brawler also gave aj a decent amount of trouble. But i do agree aj doesnt have a good gas tank. Its gotten better however because of less punches thrown but also because he has alot less muscle to eat away at his oxygen supply. Still strong though.

I just think its definitely possible he can take fury out in 7 rounds because if he hurts fury he'll unload clean combinations unlike wilder. Or a late KO if fury somehow slips up. But past 7 fury probably wins

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    mark ant likes this.
  3. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    I feel the fight will be like Wlad v AJ at times with both fighters controling with their lead hans as these two fighters are extremely tall.
    This content is protected

4. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    How does Fury moving his arms to block body shots open Fury's head to the hook when Fury doesn't use his arms to block hooks, he'll just lean back and slip it or roll under and with his philly shell he can easily block a left hook to head and body by leaning over to his right side to make himself smaller and cover both his body and head with his right arm.

Also you've seem to have forgotten Fury does something called moving, Fury doesn't have to clinch he can simply step back or pivot off from the hook and have Joshua out of position or too far away to land a follow up punch. Fury isn't just going to stand there and let Joshua come inside, you make it sound like all Joshua has to do is throw to the body, then throw a left hook and suddenly he's inside and able to work. Joshua will need to pick his moments, back Fury up to the ropes and then unload where he's unable to slip away but even then Fury isn't easy to hit when he uses shoulder rolls.

As I've said before AJ isn't Wilder so there we agree but much like Wilder his attacks will be few and far between as just like Wilder he really isn't a pressure fighter. Wilder tends to wait for opponents to tire and slow and then he can beat them to the punch and KO them. Joshua in contrast tends to try and force mistakes from opponents he doesn't just wait and lose rounds, that's where he'll do much better than Wilder. Where he'll do worse than Wilder is that he's slower and a bit more conventional in his approach.

As for Joshua's combination punching which yes is far better than Wilder's the problem with trying to land combinations is your opponent has to be there to throw them. Against someone like Fury who moves so much usually, Joshua needs to be more selective in when he throws combo's. Throwing them in the middle of the ring where Fury will just lead to Joshua hitting a lot of air, he's got to unload his combos when he has Fury on the ropes that's when they'll be more effective and where he can perhaps win the fight.

If Joshua can hurt Fury I think he is a better finisher than Wilder but I also think he's going to find it harder to hurt Fury because he's more conventional and predictable and also slower. But he's also vulnerable to being countered when going for the KO just like Wilder, we've seen that vs Whyte, Wlad and Ruiz Jr. So even if Joshua is a more dangerous finisher the danger is he too exposes himself to get hurt.

I agree he'll be more aggressive vs Fury, simply because he has to be as there's little chance he can win a decision. Maybe he can do it, he has a better chance than anyone else even with his low work rate.

5. MaxwellOnTheRoad

MaxwellOnTheRoad New Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2020
    The only boxer in the HW division with a chance to beat Fury is AJ. No one else has a shot at the moment in my opinion. I think AJ can do it but it will be the toughest fight of his career. Though, I think the same can be said for Fury.

Yaiyr Alexander likes this.
  6. Yaiyr Alexander

Sep 3, 2020
    No what ive been saying is even if fury blocks the shots (which he probably wont) aj can lead off with a hook like he did against wlad and if fury evades it it still allows him to get on the inside and put it on fury because fury isnt a good inside fighter. They'll most likely end up in a clinch but that doesn't hurt Aj. By the middle rounds then he can start to get agressive in the clinches and put it on fury in the clinches.

Its like everyone thinks joshua is too robotic and wont be able to stay on fury when he pivots. Yes joshua needs to put him on the ropes for his attacks to be relatively effective but thats what ive been trying to get at. He's going to put the pressure on fury and try and get him on the ropes. Chisora had fury on the back pedal and got on the inside didnt he ? SEVERAL times as a matter of fact. Fury just clinched with him. Joshuas larger and faster than chisora and hits much harder. His size and natural aggression will trouble fury in those holds when Aj decides he wants to take fury out. Joshua will definitely have pick his moments but there'll be alot of them and he'll do it like chisora did. fury will be as heavy if not heavier than he was against chisora and likely slower. Joshua also had decent head movement against povetkin who at this point is noticeably faster than the fury that destroyed wilder so he also has the option to box his way in then up the aggression only on the inside to conserve stamina. Ruiz did counter him but ruiz is faster than fury. Much faster. And ruiz is a good inside fighter not so much fury

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  7. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    I have it 60/40 for AJ.

8. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Fury can literally Employ the same strategy he did in the Wilder rematch and have better results. AJ will be done after the third round.

9. Yaiyr Alexander

Sep 3, 2020
    Didnt you talk to me first lmao ? You have to a brick or some **** lol

10. Cally

Cally Sand...sand... nothing but sand! Full Member

Sep 12, 2015
    You say what now?

Wipe the dribble off your chin fella, it stinks.

11. Yaiyr Alexander

Sep 3, 2020
    Lol got nothing else to say

12. Cally

Cally Sand...sand... nothing but sand! Full Member

Sep 12, 2015
    I don't know wtf you're dribblimg on about alt

13. Tyistall

Tyistall Member banned Full Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Good Lord you are a stalker. Do you sniff underwear too?

14. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    No, not to keen on the smell of poo

Its why i call out most of your posts Nincompoop as they have the same aroma attached to them

15. Murderers' Row

Murderers' Row Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Can you tell us why?