Unpopular Opinion. I think Deontay Wilder hits harder than Earnie Shavers

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by MarkusFlorez99, Jan 20, 2021.

1. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Wilder is overrated as hell and would probably get smoked by the likes of Foreman, Ruddock and other punchers throughout history.

But Wilders Raw power is ungodly. Wilder doesn't knock out small 210 pound heavyweights he blasts out large Super Heavy Weights and his towering height and reach accompanied with speed allows him to use leverage to generate such awesome power.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Bokaj, Kamikaze and JBoog89 like this.
  2. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    His right hand probably is as powerful as any punch ever.

Gatekeeper, Guru88, TipNom and 3 others like this.
  3. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Probably, but as long you can get one punch knockouts at a high level I don’t think it matters who hits harder than you

4. JBoog89

JBoog89 Member banned Full Member

Jan 9, 2021
    I think you’re probably right.

5. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    After a certain point power becomes irrelevant- would you rather be shot in the head with gun x or gun z?

the end result is the same, it’s a matter of delivery.

Toney F*** U, TipNom, Flash24 and 2 others like this.
  6. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Your probably right. Shavers power, while lethal, does get a tad overrated in parts. Wilder would have the same sort of record as Shavers if he'd been around then. Eg, knocking out Norton and Ellis but losing to Ali and Holmes.

Flash24 likes this.
  7. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    I would agree that his straight/overhand right probably is the most powerful punch I've ever seen.

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Sep 16, 2012
    He might there's a good chance that he does but that means little if you can't do anything else on a world class level like Wilder.

Flash24 likes this.
  9. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Deontay Wilder is the hardest puncher I ever saw. And this comes from someone who grew up watching Earnie Shavers and sat breathlessly waiting for him to score knockouts in the late 70s and early 80s, which usually didn't come.

Plus, the list of guys Shavers didn't knock out is, at some points, kind of embarrassing. Who you knocked out is always important. Who you don't knock out, sometimes, takes a lot of the luster off, though.

Wilder has stopped everyone he's fought except Fury, who Wilder had down twice. Who knows, maybe he'll get a third fight and complete his record.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  10. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    The late, great sportswriter Jim Murray wrote that Shavers had a nuclear bomb of a right hand...and he delivered it via bicycle courier.
    Wilder has a far superior delivery system.

Golden_Feather99 and Pat M like this.
  11. Fuzzykat

Fuzzykat Member Full Member

Jun 18, 2019
    I have no way of judging who hits harder. But Wilder and Shavers seem to me to be in the same elite class as far as power goes.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  12. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Wilder gets more leverage on his right hand with his long limbs and height. He might have the most lethal right cross at HW.

Shavers is better at getting his weight into a shot and has better timing. He also has more explosive/fast twitch ability. Kind of apples and oranges but Wilder may hit a bit harder in terms of sheer force.

13. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    That means little?

Wilder was the longest reigning heavyweight champ of the 2010s and he made 11 title defenses. (Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha)

Yeah, what does arguably being the hardest puncher ever matter? (LOL)

I guess the rest of the division is pretty damn lucky he isn't (as you say) "world class" at everything else, aren't they?

Because if he was the best boxer in the division, too, they'd all be screwed.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  14. kriszhao

kriszhao Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 8, 2008
    agains **** competition if his best win is still an ancient Ortiz after he was popped for steroids. 40+ fights of **** poor competition.

By the way you lied since 2010 Wladamir had 12 defenses with 11 wins... Wilder had 11 defenses with 9 wins.

15. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    I didn't lie. You can't read.