Usyk being underrated?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by kevinreid001, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Donald Donaldson

Donald Donaldson Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I would argue it doesn't really show that- it was not a proper pro fight, and it was just 5 rounds.

Also, Joyce 8 years ago was a completely different animal to Joyce today (and indeed AJ).

He did handle Chisora, in the sense that he beat him, however Chisora today is a ageing gatekeeper with 11 loses on his record. He's also only around 6'1. AJ is a genuine 6'6. That's a substantial difference. He's also much slower, and more limited, lacks a good jab and was always going to lose that fight on points unless he got landed a huge shot.

2. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Do you recommend that Usyk lose 3 inches (at least) in height and gain 3 or 4 stones of fat and water to be able to beat Joshua? Maybe a few more tattoos would also help.

Terminator and Jurgen like this.
  3. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Ruiz is so powerful that he couldn't even wobble the ghost of Liakhovich, who had been brutally stopped several times. He couldn't wobble Arreola. He couldn't wobble the ghost of Kevin Johnson. He couldn't do anything to the legend Franklin Lawrence. He wasn't close to wobbling Parker, despite trading blows with him and he was dropped by Whyte and Chisora.

4. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    The big difference with that is ruiz was a big strong guy who actually weighed heavier than joshua. Thats the one thing hearn never took into account when making the fight. He almost made the same mistake trying to make the miller fight. Joshua probably would have beat miller...but if that fight turned into a battle the last thing joshua needs is a big heavy guy pushing him back.

Usyk wont get joshua in the same position. Usyks whole gameplan/success hinges on his stamina...the problem is he becomes less effective with every pound he puts on. Guys like ruiz...know how to fight overweight. They dont overexert until an oppertunity arises. Usyk forces them oppertunities. The problem is it is less effective when the opponents 3 or 4 inches bigger with the same again in reach then a big weight advantage and power advantage. Hes gonna do well to see out the fight if truth be told. He,ll ask joshua questions just wont be able to exert him too much...giving too much away and his big assets arent whats really needed at heavyweight regardless how good a fighter he is.

People tell me chisoras no good...yet he gave usyk a good fight. Chisoras actually a good win for usyk...its a hard jump to make to heavyweight.

5. Donald Donaldson

Donald Donaldson Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Ruiz can punch. I'm sure he hits harder than Usyk at HW and that's all that matters in this context really. I never said he's a monster puncher but he has enough power.

Not being able to hurt or stop boxers who come to survive and finish 12 rounds is not always an indication of power. Using your logic Daniel Dubois also is not powerful- after all he failed to hurt and stop the same Kevin Johnson you mention? Not true of course as Dubois is a huge puncher no question or doubt about that.

6. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Usyk doesn't do it for me, find him one paced and boring, AJ should be too big too strong, and hit too hard, easy night for him. keep well.

7. Cookiedough

Cookiedough Active Member Full Member

Feb 18, 2020
    I think some people are maybe under estimating Usyk. I can only take good things from the Chisora win for Usyk. It was a gutsy display by Usyk. Derek is a powerful dangerous heavyweight and Usyk dealt with it. I think Usyk will try and hurt Joshua early and keep the flow going to deter AJ from doing a seek and destroy on him. AJ has to assert himself straight away and keep the pressure on. Look for Usyk to unleash power from the start.
    This is what makes boxing so interesting. These matchups are first class. Really looking forward to this fight.

Carl Weathers and kevinreid001 like this.
  8. Gomo

Gomo Active Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2018
    For me theres 2 guys in the division that are a massive problem to Joshua and fury

Usyk and Joyce.

kevinreid001 likes this.