Usyk In The 1950's?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mcvey, Feb 7, 2019.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Olexandr Usyk as he is today , competing from1950 until 1960.
    How does he do?

2. Bukkake

Bukkake Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Today he's a cruiserweight - whereas in the 50s, he would of course be fighting as a heavyweight.

So when you say "as he is today"... do you mean, that he would still have to come in under 200 lbs in the 50s? Or does he not have to slim down to the cruiserweight limit - but can come in at whatever weight, that feels natural to him? Which I suspect will be around 210-215, when he in the near (hopefully!) future, goes up to test today's big boys.

3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    The latter.

4. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think he outboxes top contenders like Valdes and Layne (though Layne would befuddle him for a few imo), and LaStarza. No question he beats lesser contenders like Savold and Brion.

Losses to Charles, losses to Walcott, has no chance against Marciano

I'd love to see a fight between him and Moore, THAT would be interesting and a toss up

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    choklab and Reason123 like this.
  5. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Usyk would have too much reach for Ingo and his footwork is better than Liston`s was, if both fighters caught Usyk flush he would go though, but Liston`s reach was longer than Usyk`s and much longer than Ingo`s, I feel in both fights th reach would be important because Of Liston`s long jab and the fact that Ingo had a constant jab, Usyk would out jab Ingo but have a lot of problem`s with Liston`s power I would say. I feel Marciano would cause Usyk real problems with his constant pressure, Liston and Ingo stood of a bit more than Rock, I`d say there would be a strong chance of Rock finishing Usyk. I feel Charles and Usyk would have had a great bout and Walcot, Charles beats Usyk I feel because of his amzing savvy and Walcot would stop Usyk because he was so clever at landing power shots without getting countered, great fights.

Reason123 likes this.
  6. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    beats everybody in the 1950s, easily. Just imagine Maricano, slow of foot, crossing his back foot over his front when he moves to the left, slow, telegraphed punches, and he was arguably the best of the 50s... A modern well conditioned athlete vs. small, slow, weak competition.

Of course since Usyk fights from the southpaw stance none of them would fight him anyway.

7. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I can’t pick him to beat Marciano or Liston at this stage and I am not sure how he would fare/adapt in the 15 rd era.

I do think he would beat Valdes and other fringe contenders like Folley Cooper and machen. I would love to see him against Floyd Ingo Moore Walcott and Charles and have no doubt he would be competitive with them. I think without seeing him at the HW level, but having seen him at CW rehydrated to 210? He would not get embarrassed. He is good enough to get the opportunity against the elites. How he would fare is to me unknown at this stage...but good enough to get on the big stage at the very least

Fergy likes this.
  8. Bukkake

Bukkake Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Ok, we're talking about a heavyweight version of today's Usyk… who will surely not have any trouble with the small heavyweights of the first half of the 50s.

Champions/challengers like Walcott, Charles, Lastarza, ****ell (lol), Moore, Maxim, etc. would all be too small to make a fight of it. And old Louis would be… well, too old! Marciano?... c'mon, does anyone really think he would crush the elusive Usyk, who has a great gas tank (and please don't tell me, that the extra 3 rounds in that era, would be something Usyk couldn't adjust to!).

In the latter half of the decade we have Liston, who began making waves around '58, and he certainly could pose some problems! The Liston who twice crushed Williams was a formidable fighter, imo. Tremendous reach (jab), strength, power... and not too shabby boxing skills. What impresses me the most, is how composed he was. Very cool under pressure - and doesn't get wild or over-eager when he has an opponent going. Would the much faster Usyk be able to stay out of trouble for 15 rounds - or would Liston catch him sooner or later? 50/50 fight for me!

mcvey likes this.
  9. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Befuddle him with what? Have you seen Layne?

10. The Undefeated Lachbuster

Jul 18, 2018
    Yes, the man that UD'd Walcott and Charles, beat Satterfield and Brion would not even touch Usyk

Obviously he's incredibly inferior to Bellew, who was ahead of Usyk on my scorecard before the knockout

11. TBI

TBI Active Member Full Member

Oct 20, 2015
    He would be competitive, towards the top of the stack, but too early to tell in his career how well he does against top opposition over time.

Hes a big, sharp puncher who likes the body work. I like him.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  12. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    In the 1950s he would never have been able to turn professional in the first place, but I will play along.

I am certain that he would be highly successful in any era.

He is a very complete fighter.

It might be prudent to withhold judgment on whether he would beat some of the best fighters in history that he would have been eligible to compete with.

13. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Oh yeah, he gave Walcott his 15th defeat. I forgot that.

And Dempsey gifted him a victory over Charles, a valiant effort sandwiched between losing affairs to the greats Matthews and Lastarza.

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  14. The Undefeated Lachbuster

Jul 18, 2018
    Ah yes generalizing him off of losses and he was beaten by Marciano so badly that he had to get dentures and gained weight

His record speaks for itself.

15. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Let's look at who beat Walcott when he was actually a full time professional fighter:

Joey Maxim (Walcott broke his hand badly)
    Elmer Ray
    Joe Louis
    Ezzard Charles
    Rex Layne
    Rocky Marciano

I would say that is a pretty good club to be part of!