Usyk In The Early 1900's?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mcvey, Feb 7, 2019.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Usyk clowned Joe Joyce in the World Series,I think size alone wouldn't cut it.

2. Sting like a bean

Sting like a bean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    Those former Soviet countries are like the 'hood of Europe. You can see some pretty crazy **** in Youtube videos.

mcvey likes this.
  3. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Underrated post.

4. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    Do you still stand by this call?

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  5. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    It has the same carve-out exception for Johnson that others seem to suffer from, though.

NoNeck likes this.
  6. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Why people now suddenly believe that Usyk would destroy every single smaller fighter only because he beat good, but fairly limited Joshua yesterday?

How does it help us to tell us how he'd have against Schmeling, Charles, Ali, Frazier, Louis or any other fighter who was smaller, but much superior technically than AJ? Or Johnson in that matter? Even Jeffries was much different fighter than Joshua, he wouldn't try to outjab Usyk.

Jackomano and cross_trainer like this.
  7. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    If you defeat a superheavyweight, you become a superheavyweight yourself. It's like killing a werewolf.

It may not make much sense, but that's just the way the thinking goes.

70sFan865 likes this.
  8. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    For now I still do. Beating Joshua was impressive, but wasn’t something that was necessarily shocking to me. Also, Joshua is still a very green fighter compared to Johnson, Jeffries, Burns, and Langford.

All that said I’d still like to see how Usyk does in a rematch with Joshua and against other styles at heavyweight, so I still think it’s premature to start picking him over past greats.

9. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    Don’t want to speak for Seamus, but I just assumed he was just allowing that the Johnson fight might not be an absolute layup like the other ones. I didn’t read him to be saying that Johnson should be favored though (unlike the posters who seem to think Usyk would crumble to pieces as soon as Johnson clinched him).

10. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    In terms of orthodox technique, I honestly don't see much daylight between 1906-10 Johnson and Jeffries. At least to the extent that either man has good enough film to judge.