Usyk looks jacked - Is he going for the KO?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Vegan Beast, Jul 27, 2021.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    AJ is fast.

BoxerToxer likes this.
  2. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    That's what I'm thinking as well. Even though he probably trusts his chin, he got nailed with some wild looping bombs from Chisora and took them fairly well, but with AJ, it's better to be safe than sorry. So I guess he figures.... why not?

BoxerToxer and Komaster like this.
  3. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013

Yeah maybe his age will have an impact, that's a fair point.

But if you're in the gym, training ever day with that extra weight, you do become accustomed to it.

Your body does adjust, but you make a good point about his age, Usyk has had a long time now to make the adjustments.

I saw Usyk against Chisora under swarming relentless pressure and cope very well, win with ease.. now sure, Chisora isn't AJ, we are talking levels apart.

But AJ can't fight that style, he can't fight relentlessly, AJ hasn't got the gas tank, if Usyk has improved his stamina then AJ is in for a much tougher night than most people think.

BubblesUK likes this.
  4. Vegan Beast

Vegan Beast Grandpappy Ortiz Full Member

Aug 19, 2020
    Usyk definitely won but he didn't win with ease. He took way more shots than I thought he would.

I scored it 9-3 Usyk. Some of the rounds Usyk won weren't too far apart though.

5. Furious

Furious Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2017
    9-3 is pretty comfortable. I appreciate that ignores the context of the fight but a 9-3 isn't a close score by any stretch.

6. BoxerToxer

BoxerToxer Member banned Full Member

Mar 1, 2021
    I agree. Usyk was complaining to ref in first 2 rounds like a primary school student, when Chisora was punching him with heavyweight punches. It was like he asked the ref to save him from Chisora.

Usyk didn't like fighting Chisora because he was hitting very hard. A monster like AJ will absolutely floor him.

It's not important if Usyk has very good movement, boxing skills etc. He doesn't possess the KO power which Ruiz does. His punches will not affect AJ.

Sooner or later, AJ will catch him with his big right and make him count the stars. I see it happening in round 10.

Usyk is not cut for heavyweight. Better return to cruiserweight, or ideally to light heavyweight and become two-division champion and save his legacy.

7. Turnip mk3

Turnip mk3 Active Member Full Member

Feb 6, 2021
    If Usyk gets out the early stages he can take AJ apart. I think AJ s heart is no longer in it .

Col Mortimer likes this.
  8. Komaster

Komaster Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Sep 20, 2010
    He was just finding his rhythm vs a bullocking Chisora, who would make most people look out of sorts for the first three rounds when throwing everything but the kitchen sink . After he expelled all his energy Usyk cruised pretty easily.

It's Ovah likes this.
  9. Komaster

Komaster Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Wasn't fast enough to land on average Parker. He surprises as opposed to being fast - surprises with unexpected combos - usually in close with his uppercut/short hook. It's what got Ruiz and Klitschko and green Whyte right at the end. The others were subpar boxers whom he battered without resistance. Usyk will give angles and won't loiter in the pocket. Usyk is a good chance here for a UD

Turnip mk3 likes this.
  10. SmackDaBum

SmackDaBum TKO7 banned Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Joshua has:

Weight.
    Height.
    Reach.
    Power.
    Strength.

He will take the center of The ring and force Usyk to move around in circles thus draining energy. In clinches Usyk will drain energy even faster. I think Joshua will establish the Jab and drain Usyks reaction time for the late rounds.

BubblesUK likes this.
  11. Special one

Special one Active Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2019
    The real test is when Joshua comes out at the beginning of a round with his foot on the gas can Usyk handle it or does he wilt under the pressure? Much like Joshua did in his fights with Klitschko and Pulev more recently he ups the pace from the bell and people tend to get dropped. Has Usyk got a better chin than Klitschko or Pulev all of a sudden!? Nahhhh I can't see him lasting beyond 9 rounds.

BubblesUK likes this.
  12. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Usyk isn't going to cut 30 to 40lbs at this stage in his career. Remember what happened to Chris Byrd when he moved down to 175lbs? He got smashed.

A good skillset will not overcome a weakened body.

Boxingfan2 likes this.
  13. keepemup

keepemup Member Full Member

Jul 4, 2007
    He looks the same.

BoxerToxer likes this.
  14. Bumnard_Hopkins

Bumnard_Hopkins Burger King banned Full Member

Jul 13, 2021
    I want Usyk to win but if he really outboxes Joshua then it will speak very poorly for the HW division.

15. ShovelHook

ShovelHook Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Because he can take a bucketload more punishment without being hurt?