Usyk needs a couple of "warm up" fights at heavyweight

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by NasalSpray, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    1. Usyk was set to make his HW debut against Povetkin who is ranked #6 at HW by the Ring (and IIRC he was #3 before the AJ fight), it's Team Povetkin who nipped that in the bud.

'The road to a showdown between Oleksandr Usyk and Alexander Povetkin now includes a detour where both will face opposition previously defeated by their respective counterpart.

Both boxers still plan to fight on the same DAZN show on May 18, but will officially no longer come against one another. Instead, they will take separate bouts at a Chicago location to be determined, as a prelude to a possible pairing later this year.

The fallout stems from a desire on the part of World of Boxing, the Russia-based promotional outfit representing Povetkin (34-2, 24KOs) and whom prefers its heavyweight to instead take an interim fight before a head-on collision with the 2018 Fighter of the Year.

Emperor Eddie

“I wouldn’t,” Hearn said when asked if Usyk should fight the likes of Parker, Povetkin or Ortiz in his first fight at heavyweight. “That’s what he wants. I would say go a little bit easier on his first fight out of the way, but these are the guys he’s calling for, and I guess that’s why people love him so much”

And Povetkin was more than holding his own against the #1 ranked HW in the world before the stoppage. In fact, he fought really well and was ahead on most people's cards. And Povetkin would spark Donkey out cold lol

2. If Mikey weighed over 147 at 9:00am the morning of the fight when he fought Lipinets at 140 and 147.4 at 9:00am the morning of the fight when he fought Easter at 135 and stuffed his face with pizza for his pre-fight meal, then I think it's a fair to say he was 149-150 in the ring.

This content is protected

And Usyk was not coming in at 220lbs when he fought at CW

Heavy_Hitter and Gatekeeper like this.
  2. Pretty Boy Floyd

Pretty Boy Floyd Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Even lomachenko say's he wouldn't do what mikey is doing, he also say's at the end that rigo went up 2 divisions, hes the best, but the best at HIS SIZE.

Usyk will be a small heavyweight, nothing wrong with having a warm up fight at all.

3. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Yeah, he needs to take his time, get comfortable, fight those A list guys when he's about forty.

4. james5000

james5000 2010's poster of the decade Full Member

Apr 11, 2010
    When you beat "A" Grade, you must clearly be "A" grade??? Beating Pacman was a hell of a win considering what pacman did before and after???

Linares was never the 2nd best in the division?? Who did he ever beat to get such a lofty title?
    Struggled with Corolla and the milky bar kid ffs!!!! Losses to no hopers don't make him look legit either???

I know UK bias makes you consider him better than he is but ffs Corolla and the milky bar kid are pretty basic and don't have very good intangibles

"Skills" is a cop out, and really is debateable any way. Horn is a pressure fighter, not an out boxer.
    Pressure fighters have a different skill set to suit their physical attributes.

5. KiwiMan

KiwiMan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 28, 2016

I don't consider old Pac to be A level anymore. Maybe you have a different definition than me (A grade means arguably the best the division at that point to me) but in my view he's clearly well below his best and would lose to the top 5 guys if not more at 147 lb. Still, great win, albeit controversial. Maybe I was a bit harsh, I like Horn but can't help noticing the lack of skills. There is still skill in being an educated and effective pressure fighter.

Actually I don't rate Crolla particularly highly myself and feel he's overrated. But it is true that Linares was considered #2 at that point, that's where he was on basically all the ranking lists before Loma moved up. That's all the OP was talking about after all.

6. slender4

slender4 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
    He'll fight two old guys and then they'll rush him in with Joshua, if he still holds the title. Usyk is a good fighter, not elite, and his people know it, that's why 4 months after his last fight they're doing all this "shall I stay or shall I to" stuff. Heavyweight is quite weak outside of the top 3, but they still don't want to risk a 220 lb. guy in his 30s against a 250 lb., experienced heavyweight.

7. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    He suggest Poverkin is an easy fight is downright insulting to a real boxing fan.

Troll u r

lepinthehood likes this.
  8. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    And Serge is indeed proven correct yet again

Serge says

Exhibit A

Lightweight Mikey

Exhibit B

Welterweight Spence

7lbs difference which is about the same as what the difference between Loma and Linares was or maybe even slightly less.

9. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Absolutely this, Mikey is basically committing suicide fighting spence first. Its like Kell Brook going up to fight GGG.

Pretty Boy Floyd likes this.
  10. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Also Uysk will be outweighed more than likely by 25-40lbs so..............

11. bluebird

bluebird Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 17, 2009
    Mikey will likely get ass blasted this weekend.

Usyk is moving from 200 lbs opponents to 230+ (top guys are 250 lbs). 30-50 lbs jump in opponents weight.

12. Dario Argento

Dario Argento The exotic Waitress banned Full Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Here you are doing it again,

“USYK IS A GOOD FIGHTER, NOT elite.”

lepinthehood likes this.
  13. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
  14. BoxTurtle

BoxTurtle New Member Full Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Worth remembering that Usyk has to keep his weight down for Cruiserweight. Egis Klimas, his manager, said yesterday that 225lb for Usyk will be his likely natural fighting weight at Heavyweight, and likely even bigger when fights 2 and 3 come around. At that weight he should still retain his superb endurance, finesse, movement, and footwork without any adverse effects. And that’s still bigger than the worlds biggest duck, Wilder...

15. Pretty Boy Floyd

Pretty Boy Floyd Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    The body needs time to acclimate to the new weight, Cruiser weight to heavy weight is a big jump, Not only won't he be cutting any weight he will most likely be gaining some mass too, Carrying that excess weight is going to effect your foot work, your timing, your speed, your reflexes etc. You need a tune up just to get these things in alignment, the timing you had at a lower weight is going to be different at HW, its like having a race car and fitting new suspenion, tyres etc and adding weight, on the race track those small things make a huge difference. Especially for a fast technical mobile fighter like Usyk