Usyk needs to stay at Cruiserweight

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by uppercut_to_the_body, Jan 27, 2018.

1. LiverpoolFAN69

LiverpoolFAN69 New Member Full Member

Jan 28, 2018

2. DanielDimov

DanielDimov Jabbing all night Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Briedis was better than expected. The first time the fighters hugged was in the end of the 12th round. He showed up a completely different game, it was a completely different fight from the one with Perez. I feel like Briedis showed his best and really wanted to be on the final. Usyk was the guy that made Briedis show his full potential. It was a great close fight, I had it 8-4 or 7-5 for Usyk he was more active with the better defence, took the best shots of Briedis. The thing that most people are concerned is that Usyk was easy to hit. He just stayed in front of Briedis sometimes. The main reason I think is because it was a southpaw vs orthodox. Usyk knew that Briedis could go dirty and he actually tried a couple of times. Usyk had to not use his footwork that much because I've noticed Briedis stepped on his toe a couple of times. Also Briedis tried to low blow 1-2 times, tossed like a sambo master Usyk once, and tackled him once.

JoffJoff, Papillon and NewBoxingOrder like this.
  3. greenhornet

greenhornet Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 14, 2016
    fury is a clown. had to lay on cunningham to wear him down to beat him. Breidis starches him.

4. greenhornet

greenhornet Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 14, 2016
    breidis is easily top five at hw right now

5. Absolutely!

Absolutely! Fabulous, darling! Full Member

Jul 8, 2010
    He's definitely top ten. Not sure what he's done to warrant an automatic top five spot though.

greenhornet likes this.
  6. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Yeah, That's what I figured was the case. Usyk is highly skilled, but I'm still not sold on him moving up to heavy weight. I think his size will limit him.

7. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Certainly should stay at Cruiser for the foreseeable future as I think he showed last night against top quality game competition that he can dominate this division for years and all things go well could unify the division which is no small achievement,Crawford I believe was the first in over a decade to do so.
    Problem that I see for Usyk if he goes up to Heavyweight is that if he does lose he’s nowhere to go except back down to Cruiserweight.

Imo he should carry on learning his craft at Cruiser,last night will of taught him loads.
    Just like when GGG fights top competition butwins by decision you can already hear some folk saying he’s a hype job,he was exposed lol instead of giving Breidis the credit he deserves and the skill Usyk showed on the night,watch his footwork and you’ll truly appreciate what Usyk does for such a big man,maybe it’s natural like Rodger Federer at tennis whose footwork has been described as balletic so is Usyk imo.

8. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Oh totally agree CST80,Breidis outdo be the second best in the division,we’ll find out soon enough when the winner of Gassiev v Dorticos face Usyk in the final,to be sure I don’t think some have given Breidis the credit he deserves.
    Having seen the fight now on YouTube I can totally see how last night some folk had it very. Lose and others like yourself had Usyk fairly wide,I would’ve of leaned towards Usyk on account of metronomic jab and work rate butin every round Breidis landed some quality so I had no probs with the scorecards particularly at home for Breidis.

One last point,think of all the LBDC who go on about Andre Ward and the Super Six and yet this tournament won’t get a look in.what Usyk is doing here in winning away from home is far more impressive that Ward who was the only one in that tournament tohave every fight at home.

9. JediPimp007

JediPimp007 Long suffering reader Full Member

May 8, 2006
    First time watching Usyk for me and was left feeling a bit indifferent. Not sure where this talk of speed comes from, Haye was significantly faster at CW and clearly punched infinitely harder. He had decent'ish for speed, but zero head movement. He'd get destroyed by the bigger heavyweights, he's just not that good. Decent fighter, but again massively over hyped.

chico g and Dave70 like this.
  10. anthoto1

anthoto1 Active Member Full Member

Apr 13, 2013
    You, my friend, don't know **** about boxing.

11. Gneus7

Gneus7 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 29, 2007
    I agree. He's too small and lacking in power to beat the top guys.

12. Kevin Willis

Kevin Willis Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Typical emo trash telling Usyk what he should do. Truth be told you do not want him moving to HW because he will do big things. you scum hate him for selfish reasons and if you really thought he had no prayer at HW you would be encouraging him to move up.

Such predictable little imps you all are.

13. lewis gassed

lewis gassed The Bronze Dosser Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Briedis was 217 against Char.
    Big guys like Usyk and Gassiev will be ~220 and this will help their power and chin while still maintaining good mobility.
    I'm not the one to say they are gonna destroy AJ when they move up, he's the top dog now.

But they will be very competitive with the rest of the guys.

14. Odo

Odo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Like CST80 rightfully stated: Bridies brutally knocked one of the org's champs,Charr,out a couple of months ago.He also beat Marco Huck more impressively than today's nr2 at heavy weight,Alexander Povetkin.
    I for my part favour Usyk over any present big boy with the exception of Joshua.
    Wilder?? Pah! A paper champ with an inflated and pathetic fight record.Povetkin? He is getting old.
    Parker? Haye? Bellew? Who else is out there who can be truly favoured over Usyk??? I dont see anyone.

15. chico g

chico g What are you staring at Mr Trump?! hahaha! Full Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Not gonna quote the poster a couple of pages before, but I hate it when people use Usyk to compare to Holyfield. I think the analogy of Usyk not being a big puncher, but being skillful and durable enough to outbox the top heavyweights today is slighty optimistic. That and the actual fact Evander was not a weak puncher, with dropping the likes of Bowe, and Mercer, hurting Foreman, and stopping the likes of Buste Douglas, and Tyson. I hate those comparisons. Usyk would have been a spit bucket boy in the early 90s cruiser weight division. Carrying Micheal Moorer's sweat towel around the gym.