Usyk not impressed with Fury v Wilder 3

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Oct 13, 2021.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Usyk has stated in an interview that even though this fight was exciting, there was little skill on show.
    This content is protected

2. Conteh'sLeft

Conteh'sLeft Active Member Full Member

May 23, 2021
    Rightfully so, both fighters were sloppier than a backalley blowjob , it was a barn burner but skill wise neither fighter showed anything substantial.

Smokin Bert, vast, lordlosh and 13 others like this.
  3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    It is undeniable.
    To be fair to Wilder, he was never skillful, and he actually was cleverer in this fight than in his previous fight with Fury, the way he came out going to the body and coming forward.

Fury neglected his skills, and crowded his own work a bit too much. He was sloppy. He needs to improve on that.

Both had been out of the ring for 20 months though, and Fury looked in poor shape, even for him.

sasto, Ph33rknot, mark ant and 7 others like this.
  4. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    He's correct. It was very exciting and an awful lot of fun to watch but the inactivity and abandoning of his god-given gypsy slickness and skills (which to be perfectly frank upsets me) has made Fury much more sloppy and easier to hit. Usyk's manager Krassyuk was critical of how long it took Fury to get bum dosser out of there given the state bum dosser was in for much of the fight and he's right. As soon as Fury started putting his shots together and mixing in uppercuts he was able to achieve what he should've been able to achieve at least four rounds earlier at the latest.

mark ant, Oddone, ShovelHook and 2 others like this.
  5. senpai

senpai Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2021
    100% correct

I think every technical fighter would say the same.

6. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    That wasn't Usyk; he doesn't speak English that well. It's his promoter I forget his name.

I think we all agree Wilder has poor skills and Fury is a little better but isn't exactly Willie Pep.
    Nevertheless; it was exciting to watch. Sometimes you throw skill out the window and just smack each other, like Gatti-Ward.

Usyk is saying those crazy Wilder punches wouldn't hit him, and he'd avoid the one-two that Fury relies on.

Heavy_Hitter likes this.
  7. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    True, but this is the type of fight that will bring back a large number of casual interest in boxing (aka money), which is what matters most. The sweet science & technical boxing doesn't sell (except if your Floyd).

Ph33rknot and KidGalahad like this.
  8. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I hope Fury isn't in a serious decline, and the style he fought in and the flaws we saw (less head movement than usual, smothering his own work, flat-footed) was more to do with inactivity, rust and pure contempt for Wilder.
    No doubt, Fury does not have the legs he once had, but I hope he can get sharp again in most areas with some more frequent ring activity.
    We shall see.

9. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." banned Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Usyk doesn't even rate his own performances and is constantly underwhelmed by his opponents. :lol:

You people are massively overstating things, though. Fury wasn't at his sharpest, he was out of professional action for twenty months, and he came with a certain amount of desire for a knock-down-drag-out rumble (he allowed himself spots of taking punches to land punches in the second half of the bout, after he felt that Wilder had shot his best, just because he could), but he showed considerable resources of skill and nuance over the course of that fight.

Let him get active and get some momentum back, then assess.

sasto likes this.
  10. LaidOut

LaidOut Whaaaaat? Full Member

Mar 2, 2009
    OP trying to click bait and get people to hate on Usyk. Usyk didn’t even give comments yet, it was his promoter Alex who was summing up what we all know: if either fighter fought Usyk from this 3rd fight, it would be easy work. The promoter didn’t say that that would be the case in the future. So basically, nothing to see here. End this thread.

Heavy_Hitter and lepinthehood like this.
  11. 6.5winmag

6.5winmag Member Full Member

May 1, 2020
    usyk is too small & dosen`t hit as hard as wilder

12. Slyk

Slyk Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Usyk's not wrong.

Still, I recall Usyk-Joyce was a fun night where Usyk said "fk it I'm putting on a show" and brawled the man.

13. red corner

red corner Active Member banned Full Member

Oct 9, 2021
    He does not have too. Wilder is there to be hit and Usyk can and will take him out. Wilder is on spaghetti legs. Imo you can't fix that.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Mitch87 likes this.
  14. senpai

senpai Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2021
    Just imagine that Usyk rate his performance against Chisora 3/10 and against AJ 7/10.

15. HellSpawn86

HellSpawn86 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 6, 2007
    I overall agree that it wasn't a skillful fight, however heavyweights in general are not that skillful. Cruiserweights have always come into heavyweights more skilled, but have a hard time matching the size.

What I can tell you about Wilder vs Fury though is that Wilder's wild punches made it hard for Fury to look as skillful as he usually does. If anyone has ever trained before they can tell you textbook fighters are a lot more easier to time than unconventional fighters who throw punches at odd angles.

Mayweather a defensive genius has always said his toughest fight was against Emanuel Augustus, who was a very awkward fighter. If you watch the fight you can see him have a hard time timing his punches and got hit a lot more than he was ever used to.

Chisora had a similar effect on Usyk. I imagine Wilder would have succesful moments against Usyk even though Usyk should still win the fight in ugly fashion.