Usyk vs Ali

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by RJJFan, Sep 27, 2021.

1. RJJFan

RJJFan Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Since we're up his behind, might as well go all the way. The Louisville Lip vs The Cat. Who wins?

Fogger, iceferg and Rakesh like this.
  2. Rakesh

Rakesh Active Member Full Member

Jul 6, 2021
    Im expecting a "Usyk UD" flooding this thread to the brim. Anyway, Ali UD, Usyk may have looked incredibly fast against ANTHONY JOSHUA, is Anthony Joshua a prime h2h nightmare Muhammad Ali? No. Ali wins a competitive but a clear UD, struggles in the beginning with Usyk active guard and southpaw stance, Ali adapts in the third, takes over from there.

3. Vegan Beast

Vegan Beast Grandpappy Ortiz Full Member

Aug 19, 2020
    I'd say let Usyk face someone close to Ali quality before making such a thread.

IsaL, HellSpawn86 and Rakesh like this.
  4. AdamT

AdamT Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Ali ud but he would work for it

67 Ali much too fast, agile and unorthodox

Edit

He can bloody jab too

5. Rakesh

Jul 6, 2021
    Who so? Fury maybe? While as fighters imo Ali is wayyy more complete. But Fury is pretty elusive and can replicate Ali depending on the skill. So maybe a Usyk v Fury can give us 10% of the idea of a Usyk Ali clash.

Bokaj, HellSpawn86 and AdamT like this.
  6. FastSmith7

FastSmith7 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Pointless thread.
    It's impossible to say who'd win. Naturally boxing became a more global sport over the years so the talent pool increased which means a better level of boxers overall. However we just don't know.
    It's impossible to say.

7. Rakesh

Jul 6, 2021
    Well really, we don't know the answers to any fantasy fight really. For all we know Amir Khan can ****ing bomb Mayweather KO1. But we can speculate, for example, we know Nortons chin was pretty exploitable, so matchups with Mike Tyson v Norton is an easy pick. Usually fights like these are harder to judge as Usyk is so new to heavyweight and has only notably fought Joshua and Chisora.

8. FastSmith7

FastSmith7 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2017
    I think Usyk is a tough night for anyone in HW history. He moves too well and is too skilled for anyone to beat him easily. Hes fought plenty of HWs in WSB too.

And with Usyk its a big unknown because he tires fighters physically and mentally like nobody else does.

Bokaj and Pat M like this.
  9. senpai

senpai Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2021
    Who's defence is better ? If you answer that question than there is your winner

10. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Didn't Ali struggle a bit with Mildenberger in the first few because of the southpaw stance?

I would never pick against Ali, but Usyk has got some tools, here.

I will just say that they are two legends, and leave it at that.

11. RJJFan

RJJFan Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Sep 5, 2010
    The legend of Usyk grows......

Fourth_Horseman likes this.
  12. JOKER

JOKER Froat rike butterfry, sting rike MFER! banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Ali quits on his stool.

13. Col Mortimer

Col Mortimer The question isn't indiscreet.The answer could be Full Member

Jul 25, 2010
    As already's been said it's generally just to hard to call due to so many complicated variables. I personally can't say with any confidence whatsoever.

I will say one thing though, if you were to drag Usyk back to a peak Ali era, Usyk would easily do the then 15 Round bouts with gutso!

Mordechai likes this.
  14. demigawd

demigawd Boxing Addict Full Member

May 1, 2006
    I'd argue the talent pool is wider but less deep. So you might get more fighters from different countries compared to the 70s but you don't get as many elite talents anymore because boxing isn't the first choice sport among amateur athletes.

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  15. Jackman65

Jackman65 FJB Full Member

Aug 31, 2019
    Not going to give an opinion on this one regarding who would win. Both guys have super high ring IQ, both have great stamina and I think Usyk could easily fight for fifteen rounds as Ali did. Both can take a punch and both have speed. Ali had better power, Usyk has better active defense. Both move well, and both are likable guys, charismatic and fun living.

I’m a fan of both and hope Usyk retires before he takes the type of punishment Ali took late in his career. I don’t like these what if type scenarios but wanted to point out some of the strengths of both guys. In this matchup, it’s a difficult night for both guys but a great night for boxing fans (in theory of course because time machine technology is progressing painfully slow).
    Cheers!

splatter69 likes this.