Usyk vs Povetkin

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Flo_Raiden, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Does anyone else think this would be a good match up? Between 2 gold medalists who come from countries that are in conflict with each other. I would love to see Usyk test the HW waters further by fighting Povetkin at some point. Not sure if this would increase more political drama but I think stylistically this would be an interesting fight.

Braindamage, Ph33rknot and POTUS like this.
  2. POTUS

POTUS Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Usyk said political overtones cockblock the fight. It would be interesting to see Sasha wear his inverted cross at the weigh in vs Usyk.

Heavy_Hitter likes this.
  3. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    If they were able to get Max Schmelling and Joe Louis to fight twice surely it would be possible to have Usyk and Povetkin face each other. It's a shame that politics have to be involved.

POTUS likes this.
  4. Heavy_Hitter

Heavy_Hitter Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Usyk already said he doesnt want to fight Povetkin at all, because the fight would create too much political tension.

POTUS likes this.
  5. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Usyk isn’t eve a heavyweight yet and he’s already ducking.

6. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Russia vs. The Ukraine, you really want someone to get assassinated huh?

Anyway, at this point Usyk would likely dominate, Povetkin's boxing ability is his best attribute but Usyk is superior in that category, plus Usyk is busier and younger

7. kim_jong_un

kim_jong_un Member banned Full Member

Mar 6, 2018
    The political excuse is bull. He fought Gassiev in Russia. Gassiev is a big Putin fan, even wore his election campaign shirt after he knocked out Dorticos prior to the Usyk fight.

[url]https://g1.nh.ee/images/pix/1000x736/7j4eV9OgLgQ/murat-gassiev-81007601.jpg[/url]

So now he doesn't want to fight Povetkin because of muh Russia? I don't buy it.

8. Dario Argento

Dario Argento The exotic Waitress banned Full Member

Nov 4, 2018
    He is clearly ducking Putin and Povetkin

9. Vysotskyy

Vysotskyy Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Oct 1, 2013
    lol It's not an inverted cross genius. It's an axe for Perun the Slavic Thunder God. He follows Native Slavic Faith / Slavic Polytheism. Likewise the tattoo on his arm is Svarog's square / Star of Rus, a symbol for another Slavic God.

10. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    As a pro fight, Usyk clowns prime pov.

POTUS likes this.
  11. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    That's what I don't get...he went to Russia to fight a Russian.

I know Gassers is ethnic Ossetian but he is still a proud ruski.
    This is deep state **** here.

POTUS likes this.
  12. bruce_keyes

bruce_keyes Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 9, 2008
    We don't need anymore "political drama" and don't need to exploit the conflict for the sake of sport, considering people are dying. Boxing and politics don't mix. But it would be a good fight no doubt. I give Usyk the slight edge and see him winning a UD 12 decision

13. minemax

minemax Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 10, 2017
    So what? Usyk didn't want to fight in Russia even back then but was in fact forced to by the WBSS who were threatening to sue him. Also, the four belts were on the line. Also, even after that fight Usyk was quite heavily criticized back home for agreeing to fight in Russia.
    And what's the point of fighting Povetkin now? Yes, he's not bad at all and still dangerous but there are plenty of dangerous opponents for Usyk even without Povetkin.

P.S. @WhataRock, I hope this answers yours questions as well.

WhataRock likes this.
  14. minemax

minemax Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 10, 2017
    But if they fight in the US, for example, I'm fine with it. The only problem is that it's not a big fight in America, and both of the boxers want to be paid well for this fight.

15. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Usyk at this point would easily run rings round Povetkin.

I'd rather see Gassiev vs Povetkin honestly. Think those two match up really well, styles-wise.