Usyk wasnt even in 1st gear

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by lepinthehood, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Yes it’s absolutely beautiful from a beautiful man imo.For all his comedic moments he used his moment of fame after beating Gassiev to make a real,lasting statement which no doubt went over the reporters heads.
    This tops anything by Jon Lennon as Lennon could be a nob.Usyk is such a breath of fresh air,never talks crap about anyone,makes us all laugh and for all his skill and achievements he stays humble and most importantly imo this comment was from the heart.

kirk likes this.
  2. Angler Andrew

Jun 28, 2016
    Lol I find this hard to believe?Greatness is perhaps a word we should use when his career is over?That said he’s already done some great things as an amateur and as a pro at cruiser weight.The way he dealt with Gassiev who was fancied by many to at least be Usyk hardest fight and Usyk just dismantled him and his power.
    If you dare answer lol what is it that you have doubts about re Usyk?

3. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Hard to really gauge anything about Usyk at HW from that fight. He's a great cruiserweight but is small and doesn't hit particular hard at the higher weight.

No need to jump straight in to a title fight, a fringe contender next fight is the logical step IMO

Angler Andrew likes this.
  4. bruce_keyes

bruce_keyes Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 9, 2008
    also, he tried to create a BIG DRAMA SHOW... he let Witherspoon hit him with a few shots... Usyk definitely has much more up his sleeve for his next fight.

5. Angler Andrew

Jun 28, 2016
    This content is protected
    Don't know how to time stamp vids Kirk but if you go to the very end of the vid at 15m you'll find the quote word for word.
    PS I was wrong about which press conference it was?it's actually after he beat Bellew.

kirk likes this.
  6. Angler Andrew

Jun 28, 2016
    Yes you can do that when you have a feel for the opposition.I doubt he'd do this against better opponents?

7. Angler Andrew

Jun 28, 2016
    Absolutely right and his original opponent Carlos Taken would of told us more as he's straight up awkward to fight and has been around the top guys in his career.
    No rush yet for Usyk and I'd rather see him active than waiting for the better guys to take the bait.
    So long as he can take the shots at heavyweight he should be fine and the knockouts will come as so many end up gassing out after five rounds.

8. Oakland Billy Smith

Oakland Billy Smith Active Member banned Full Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Well Gassiav may indeed be someone who is feared and admired in the UK, but here on this side of the Atlantic he is little more than another stiff, upright Euro hype job, waiting to be dismantled by anyone with a little stamina and lateral movement.

Of course he probably is better than a 40 year old Huck who was getting KOd by SS Cunningham more than a decade ago, and he's probably better than a part time TV actor was already getting KOd at Light Heavy....

So I guess i have no issue with Usyk. Let us crown him then now, he is the greatest Cruiser of all times and if he can defeat so much as a fringe contender at HW he belongs on the Top 20 all time list

9. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Right on man, thank you.

10. Angler Andrew

Jun 28, 2016
    Lol I expected a proper answer?instead it sounds like something from a spoilt child.
    Crawford had an easy run but I would never hold it against him.I had Usyk as favourite but nobody was calling Gassiev weak opposition at the time,funny how after getting beat he's now rubbish.
    're him at Heavyweight why would you think he's only gonna fight a fringe contender?
    Your entitled to your opinion and shouldn't get banned for it but for what it's worth you need to come up with something better.

Sugar 88 and Mr Icaman like this.
  11. Angler Andrew

Jun 28, 2016
    No problem thought I'd dreamed the whole thing up myself for a while.

kirk likes this.
  12. Oddone

Oddone Bermane Stiverne's life coach. Full Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Hope I’m not alone when I say that I can’t wait for Usyk to get sent to the shadow realm and sparked out when he faces an elite heavy.

13. Tramell

Tramell Hypocrites Love to Pray & Be Seen. Mathew 6:5 Full Member

Sep 21, 2012
    It was a no-win fight.

I like a quote made by Hakeem olajuwon some years ago when he said Some HW's are like basketball players who play center. Being big doesn't mean you play/fight that way. Some small guys have a big game & some big guys have a small game.
    Usyk fought a big man in size. That's not telling us he is ready for the HW's.

What I see as Uyk's biggest problem is the ability to take punishment. NO way should he have had the bruises seen on him post interview from a guy whose punches landed didn't exceed 25.

Getting bigger or stronger won't change that. I will be able to make a better assessment when he's hit by 1. an active HW 2. more than 50x.

14. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    I don't know why you write the nonsense you write - firstly this isn't a Canelo thread and you trying to defend Rocky Fielding as a fight despite the way they tried to sell it is pathetic. Especially in light of you having gone after other fighters for seeking to 'test the waters' in the weight class above against legit champs 100x the fighter Fielding is.

15. Heavyrighthand

Heavyrighthand Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Hearn said Usyk Will go directly to the winner of Joshua Ruiz next

I would think he would be better off stepping up another step at heavy weight first

And as you said, Povetkin would be a good step up/ next fight for Usyk...

Very tough fight and a very risky fight for Usyk. Povetkin is still top five imo

On second thought maybe he’d be better off going directly for a title next.