Usyk's Style Frustrating to Watch?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Vigilance777, Jun 26, 2022.

1. Reg

Reg Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Maybe you just assume Usyk is going to win no matter the opponent? It gets boring watching fights where the outcome is expected. I could barely get excited for Canelo's 168 run because of how poorly I thought the 168 division was and still is.

2. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Not at all he's a beautiful boxer and a joy to watch

Gassiev has never been hurt, dropped or stopped

Breidis has never been hurt, dropped or stopped

Hunter has never been dropped or stopped. Usyk is the only fighter who has scored a KD against him (when the ref deemed the ropes held him up) and many refs would've waved the fight off in the final round when Usyk went ham on his ass

Chisora is teak-tough and, even though he's fought everyone and their dog and has a super aggressive style, has only been knocked out twice and stopped once on a corner retirement

Glowacki had never been stopped at the time and Usyk never really tried to get him out of there

AJ has only been stopped once and Usyk hurt him a couple of times and had him in trouble and seemingly on the verge of being stopped at the final bell

Usyk used to wear different gloves and he was also a bit faster with even quicker reflexes and reaction times

This content is protected

Gassiev was a boxing masterclass

As were AJ and Glowacki

Breidis was a brilliant fight between two very high level/highly skilled operators

The only time we've seen a truly nasty Usyk was Huck who he wanted to punish for his disrespect

The call Usyk ''The Cat'' but we got to see a different side of The Cat against Huck - the side that likes to torture its prey

ShovelHook, CST80 and Flo_Raiden like this.
  3. Boxing2019

Boxing2019 If you want peace, prepare war. Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Frustrating for the opponents.

4. Absolutely!

Absolutely! Fabulous, darling! Full Member

Jul 8, 2010
    He's sort of featherfisted like Byrd was so I can see why you think that. I don't think he's boring as I like fighters getting broken down by him, but I sometimes think I don't like him as much as I should.

5. Absolutely!

Absolutely! Fabulous, darling! Full Member

Jul 8, 2010
    This sums up my thoughts better than the above post I wrote.

6. exocet76

exocet76 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 28, 2012
    I understand what the Op is saying but respectfully disagree. it's not like he's running away or has a very low output he expertly breaks fighters down with skillful offence.

7. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    You must not like boxing as Usyk is a master at it. Enjoy it while it lasts. I am.

8. ShovelHook

ShovelHook Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Groves was never boring, just because he had a masterful jab doesn't mean he didn't put a mean right hand behind it. He wasn't one of those guys who so heavily relied on the jab that he failed to follow up on it.

iii likes this.
  9. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    When I was trained I was told to punch THROUGH the target and not AT the target. Usyk was trained to deny himself the right to try to win by sharp, brute force. That is why he has no thickness to his abductor region which is defined in a threehundredian fashion. It's not my kind of boxing, to be perfectly honest with you.

10. ShovelHook

ShovelHook Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    From what I've gathered the UFC has more stinkers than boxing tbh. I appreciate good grappling having done a bit of BJJ myself but my lord when you get a guy who just gets the clinch on the cage or hits the mat and only does tapping strikes while attempting no submissions I flip my ****. Unfortunately that style is a dominant one as it's generally quite safe to engage in if you're a superior grappler with limited striking ability.

Oddone likes this.
  11. Johnny1987

Johnny1987 Active Member Full Member

Sep 20, 2019
    Depends what you like to be honest, we will always have brawlers in boxing because they are tough but are limited skill wise. Masterful boxers are few and far between, best to appreciate and enjoy it while we have Usyk. Not frustrating in the slightest, just pure skill showcased by a very talented athlete

12. Oddone

Oddone Bermane Stiverne's life coach. Full Member

Aug 18, 2019
    I haven't watched UFC or MMA in a while so I'm behind the times I guess. Can't really understand anyone calling Usyk boring and I'm pretty sure he was twenty seconds away from knocking Joshua out in the 12th... which was anything but dull.

mark ant likes this.
  13. Vigilance777

Vigilance777 Active Member Full Member

Oct 14, 2014
    Wow, a lot of replies here. A lot to consider. It's true Usyk is in control very much and I'll watch more of him. I'm glad a few people understand what I mean about him, there's that level of self - restraint there that you can kinda tell, he is trained to win by pure skills and not power even though he has power.
    Next up to watch is Usyk VS Huck.
    Also for the record Usyk v Breidis was a scorcher. Awesome fight.
    Also **** UFC. I can't quite fully describe how boring UFC is.

14. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Yes and was boring as hell with all his spoiling.

15. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Joyce is better than all those fighters, would love to see him fight Usyk again since they met in the amateurs.