Various Boxers Training Regimes

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by JN95, May 20, 2009.

1. JN95

JN95 Active Member Full Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Mike Tyson
    Daily Regime (7 days a week):
    5am: get up and go for a 3 mile jog
    6am: come back home shower and go back to bed (great workout for those huge legs of his)
    10am wake up: eat oatmeal
    12pm: do ring work (10 rounds of sparring)
    2pm: have another meal (steak and pasta with fruit juice drink)
    3pm: more ring work and 60 mins on the exercise bike (again working those huge legs for endurance)
    5pm: 2000 sit-ups; 500-800 dips; 500 press-ups; 500 shrugs with a 30kg barbell and 10 mins of neck exercises
    7pm: steak and pasta meal again with fruit juice (orange i think it was)
    8pm: another 30 minutes on the exercise bike
    then watch TV and then go to bed.

2. JN95

Mar 21, 2009
    Ricky Hatton
    The nutritionist Kerry Kayes begins working with Ricky Hatton during a five-city promotional tour for the fight, the priority being to shed the weight put on between fights.

"Ricky was 35 to 40lb over his fighting weight [147lb]; we were in the gym at 6am every other day shedding that load," said Kayes. This was done by a light jog of five miles on the treadmill and lifting weights. Kayes, a former bodybuilding champion, also provides him with controlled supplements.

"They give Ricky the nutrients he needs to train, not feel hungry and, most important, not put on weight," Kayes said. "The supplements Ricky was taking contained 42 grammes of protein in 270 calories. If you tried to get 42 grammes of protein from a regular meal, such as aeroplane and hotel food, it would be 1,000 calories and that is no good, we needed to shift weight off Ricky." Hatton returns from the tour 10lb lighter.

Week 2 (Sept 24-30)

Hatton starts work with Billy "The Preacher" Graham at his Betta Bodies gym in Denton, Manchester. From this point, Hatton is in the gym five days a week. The first week is spent working with the bar-bag. Hatton has to leap over a metal bar, approximately 3ft high, and hit a punch bag on the other side.

"We start with six repetitions at a time and then build up to 15," Graham said. "It's about working on Ricky's reactions and punching while also developing his fitness, which is still important at this stage."

Kayes maintained a key role. "Ricky can eat anything he wants as long as it's clean: rice, potatoes, white meat, vegetables," he explained.

Because he has moved up to welterweight for this fight, supplements play a more significant part than usual. "We have an extra 7lb to play with and I want to turn that into as much muscle as possible," said Kayes. "I've been giving him Creatine E2. It drives straight into the muscle and gives the athlete more energy and power."

Week 3 (Oct 1-7)

Hatton gets into the ring and starts "light-touch work" with Graham, sparring at a slow pace with the emphasis on finding his range. "Floyd Mayweather is a defensive genius, even pinning him up against the ropes is no guarantee of success," said Graham. "But Ricky is a master at opening up fighters and we've spent a lot of time working on that, getting through a defence and doing some serious damage in tight corners."

Weeks 4-10 (Oct 8-Nov 25)

The most important aspect of Hatton's training regime is introduced - the body-belt, a heavy, rounded, padded sack which Graham straps on and Hatton punches, designed to hone his fighting qualities: body-punching and sheer relentlessness.

"Ricky has to chase me around the ring and go as hard as possible, it's what he enjoys doing the most," Graham said. They work with the body-belt five days a week and increase the rounds steadily from four to six to eight to 10 to 12. "Me and Ricky have been going through this same routine for years, ever since he had his junior belts. We know exactly what we need to do and how to do it."

Hatton is also running at weekends, although Graham puts no emphasis on him doing so. Indeed, the 50-year-old would rather Hatton rest on his days off and stresses recovery and relaxation during preparation.

"Sleep is massively important. I allow Ricky to sleep for as long as his body needs to, that is why our daily session starts at 12.30pm," Graham said. "There are some coaches who get their fighters up at the crack of dawn and make them eat raw eggs. In my opinion, that is a load of old-school bollocks. Where is the good in having a fighter sparring in the dark when he is tired? It's pointless."

Weeks 11-12 (Nov 26-Dec 8)

"All we need is a ring, a body-belt and some sparring partners," said Graham of their gym in Las Vegas. Hatton's younger brother Matthew, a professional fighter himself, is used as a sparring partner.

A week before the fight, Graham increases the body-bag rounds to 15. Away from the gym he will pore over DVDs of Mayweather's fights. "I'll make sure I know Floyd inside out, I'll make sure I know Floyd better than he knows himself," Graham said.

Kayes makes sure Hatton is eating well, taking his supplements and is in no danger of failing the weigh-in, his greatest fear. "Once the weigh-in is done, he can relax and have a right good fill - the food still has to be clean, though."

3. JN95

Mar 21, 2009
    Chris Eubank

First I started my stretching, then
    3 rounds of shadow boxing,
    6 rounds of heavy bag work,
    3 rounds of speed ball,
    Skipping between 20 to 30 minutes non-stop, no break straight through.
    50 sit-ups, not crunches proper sit-ups.
    Stretching.
    Finish with 20 hits in the stomach with a medicine ball.

That was generally the routine.
    If I was sparring it was the same routine but without the bag work.

4. JN95

Mar 21, 2009
    NIGEL BENN

5-6 miles working upto 12-15 miles all in altitude

3x3 shadow boxing with 15-20lb weights
    2x3 shadow boxing with no weights
    4x3 punch pads
    3x3 double-end bag

20 mins skipping

400 sit ups
    100 push ups

every other day, he worked every muscle in the body with weights

he didn't do sparring, he saved it for the fight.

5. JN95

Mar 21, 2009
    EVANDER HOLYFIELD

Frederick C. Hatfield, Ph.D., FISSA

The time-honored -- but unfortunately ill-conceived -- practice of long, slow distance work as a conditioning regimen for boxers is what Evander learned from the training dinosaurs of his youth, and had continued with for years. When I was brought aboard his team, prior to his fight against Buster Douglas in 1990, Evander was in sad physical condition considering the specific demands of his sport. I immediately tested Evander’s responses to three minutes of boxing specific total body work (see the 3 minute drill description below), which brought his heart rate above 180 bpm. He needed a full 7 or 8 minutes to recover back to 120 bpm after this single bout, analogous to one hard boxing round. What was worse, after doing five of the 3 minute drills with a one minute rest between, his heart rate remained above 150 between bouts. In short, he did not have the capacity to sustain a high performance level for even half of the duration of a professional fight.

My responsibilities were limited to the physical conditioning component of Evander’s training, which had to be integrated into his skills and sparring training. Boxers require not only agility, speed and strength in short, explosive bursts, but also a high level of anaerobic strength endurance in order to perform these bursts over and over for ten rounds or more. I designed Evander’s training regimen and nutritional protocol to reflect these all-important elements. The road work ended promptly and completely.

After the 12 week cycle described below, Evander recovered quickly from intense activity, even after a series of ten, 3 minute drills. His agility and limit strength levels increased, and his lean bodyweight increased from 208 to 218.

The conditioning program described below was the program I personally supervised Evander through prior to the Buster Douglas fight. He also used the same training cycle in preparation for this most recent fights against Mike Tyson, but I was not there personally to oversee his training. This preparation was supervised by a friend of mine in the strength coaching profession who assures me the Evander followed the prescribed program precisely.

GENERAL POINTS OF CONDITIONING FOR BOXERS

There are several general concepts which helped to shape the specific program that I designed for Evander. First, the work profile of boxing is repeated 3 minute rounds of activity, often with very high intensity bursts within a round. The rounds are separated by one minute rest intervals. Thus, the relative contribution of anaerobic energy release pathways is considered extremely important, with aerobic capacity playing an important role in terms of facilitating rapid recovery. Extreme conditioning is required to fight effectively for ten intense, 3 minute rounds and anaerobic endurance is a key aspect that cannot be overlooked. Short of an early round knockout, boxers cannot afford to win only the early rounds of a fight. They must maintain an intense, but measured pace throughout a long and competitive bout. So conditioning counts almost as much as skill for boxing success. Optimal physical conditioning provides the platform from which the skills can be used. The best way to simulate the demands of boxing is to use conditioning methods which mimic the work/rest ratio and integrated bursts of power that typify boxing.

Boxing is a highly individual sport. Fighters possess unique styles that create specific physical demands. Some rely on explosive strength ("power"), for others it's starting strength
    ("speed"), and for most a combination of the two ("speed-strength"). True champions alter their style in a way that will make them more able to attack the weaknesses of any given opponent. It's important to know what kind of boxer you are, or hope to be from the
    start. Improvements in specific techniques can be made, but they are only helpful if integrated into the fighters style. For example, extensive footwork exercises may not benefit the power puncher who prefers to stand and slug it out (and win that way). Similarly, a dancing, jabbing, bobbing-and-weaving fighter shouldn't put all his training hours into body
    punching and in-fighting. So, the program design must not only be specific to boxing, but also specific to the boxer.

Ideally the boxing punch consists of a synchronization between arm, leg, and trunk
    actions. The punching movement of a boxer consists of leg extension, trunk rotation, and arm extension, in succession. The more effective the coordination between arm, leg and trunk movements, the greater the impact force of a punch. The leg muscles play a vital role in the power developed in this sequence. Increasing leg force development and coordinating it with trunk and arm action is the most effective way to increase punching power.

Because boxing is an explosive sport, ballistic training methods are
    especially effective during weight training for boxing. This kind of
    training method requires the athlete to perform each repetition explosively, with maximal intended velocity

Finally, in my view, the best way to weight train for competitive boxing is via a cycled training schedule. This type of training schedule integrates workouts and exercises
    that will meet all the basic performance demands—strength, power, speed, agility, and
    strength endurance.

EVANDER’S CONDITIONING PLAN

The twelve week macrocycle was broken down into four mesocycles of three weeks duration. Each 3 week period had specific goals, and each subsequent 3 week period built upon what
    was established in the preceding periods. The conditioning goals for each mesocycle were as follows:

WEEKS ONE, TWO AND THREE

1. Maximize muscle mass -- Evander needed to increase his body mass from under 210 to 220 pounds.
    2. Minimize fat accumulation during hypertrophy phase (dietary strategies including “zig-zag” diet were employed)
    3. Improve general strength and fitness foundation (esp. weaknesses),
    including moderate aerobic threshold intensity training.
    4. Begin training to increase anaerobic threshold
    5. Introduce light plyometrics

WEEKS FOUR, FIVE AND SIX

1. Maximize limit strength of muscles/movement used in boxing (emphasis on
    legs)
    2. Increase anaerobic strength endurance (maximum force output time after
    time)
    3. Begin training specific skills (weaknesses) in earnest
    4. Concentrate on between-workout recovery
    5. Introduce explosive strength and starting strength with moderate
    plyometrics

WEEKS SEVEN, EIGHT AND NINE

1. Maximize explosive strength
    2. Specific event skills must predominate all skills training sessions
    3. Continue anaerobic threshold training
    4. Maximize between-workout recovery
    5. Incorporate weighted plyometrics and hill/stairs running

WEEKS TEN, ELEVEN AND TWELVE

1. Maximize ballistic strength (starting strength) using "shock"
    plyometrics (built on a 9 week base of plyometrics progression).
    2. Heavy emphasis on anaerobic threshold
    3. Maximize between-workout recovery ability
    4. Heavy emphasis on skills
    5. Emphasize speed, agility, ballistic movements
    6. "Overspeed" drills in final preparatory period
    7. Begin Complex training as a replacement for normal weight training

cross_trainer likes this.
  6. JN95

Mar 21, 2009
    Enjoy them

Bokaj likes this.
  7. GPater11093

GPater11093 Barry Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    woah great idea go to bed and thats a good workout i should have huge legs by now im always sleeping.

just joking mate i think i have seen this plan too i think he went on an exercise bike at the time you specify

also cheers mate very good

8. cool-cat

cool-cat Well-Known Member Full Member

May 9, 2008
    do you have the Gary todd book?

9. JN95

Mar 21, 2009
    Look at 7pm , 6am is to sleep before workout during the day:good

10. znaak

znaak Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Hey, thanks for putting this up. Much appreaciated. :good

11. JN95

Mar 21, 2009
    Got load's more if anybody wants them??:good

12. znaak

znaak Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Anything from Kostya Tszyu?

13. HairyHighlander

HairyHighlander BASS !! HOWLOWCANUGO ?? Full Member

Nov 4, 2007
    I bought that Gary Todd book a few years ago, its been repeated here. The exerts chinny has served up aint them, which i thought would be.

Cheers chinny, love reading this stuff.

Eubank hahaha Quality ! ! !

Benn, i was talking to Turpinr and i remembered how Benn didnt like the sparring much.

Just shows ya, in some ways.

Great post, more more more......

:thumbsup

14. HairyHighlander

Nov 4, 2007
    Kostya's is in the Gary Todd "book" its kinda a graphic manual / Annual.

Maybe a search will find it, i would type it but hmmm, best not to.

:good

15. HairyHighlander

Nov 4, 2007

GO GO GO

:thumbsup