Vasiliy Lomachenko turns professional in 2009. Educate me...

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Oddone, May 12, 2024.

1. Ioakeim Tzortzakis

Ioakeim Tzortzakis Active Member Full Member

Aug 27, 2020
    By all means, enlighten me about the greatness of Roman Martinez, Anthony Crolla, Jose Pedraza and Richard Commey, they were world champions after all. They couldn't have possibly been temporary title holders in an era where everyone and their mothers are champions, right ?

Dynamicpuncher likes this.
  2. vargasfan1985

vargasfan1985 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Were they not rated fighters inside the top 10? Martinez won straps in multiple classes. Walters beat Donaire for his belt. Cope.

Smoochie, Jackman65 and Oddone like this.
  3. Ioakeim Tzortzakis

Aug 27, 2020
    He only held titles at 130, and he barely held on to them anyway. It's cute that you think you're in the right here, though.

4. ellerbe

ellerbe Loyal Member Full Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Beats Salido but still loses to Teo.

Oddone likes this.
  5. vargasfan1985

Mar 8, 2008
    Disregard, thought he won at different weights

Still a top guy doe

Cope

Ioakeim Tzortzakis and Oddone like this.
  6. JusABoxinFan

JusABoxinFan Member Full Member

Apr 20, 2022
    Canelo is arguably a natural middleweight. 160/68 lb'er..... Other than Amir Khan, who did he fight at a catchweight that was a welterweight or below? His "catch weight" bouts had more to do with him trying to finese the sport and maximize on his brand vs lesser competition with big names to make a big payday.

Crawford was big for lightweight, but who did he ever blow up 20 lbs and be much bigger than his opponent. Even vs shorter opponents, those guys put on as much if not more weight than Crawford for fight night. Felix Diaz entered the ring vs Crawford at 162 lbs. Hank Lundy was 152 lbs fight night. John Molina was 156 lbs. Let's stop trying to create a new platform to discredit Crawford. He was no weight bully. The notion when he first decided move up to and throughout his time as a welterweight, everyone claimed he wasn't a "Real Welterweight"...."Light in the A$$" ......."Too Small".......That's at a 147 lb limit. If him blowing up on fight night was an actual factor, it wouldn't have taken him beating the breaks off Spence to shut them up about his size and strength being a weakness.

Difference between the 2 I just discussed here and Loma is, Loma actually has amateur fights at 141 lbs (64 kg). So who followed him before he turned pro know he can compete vs opponents much larger than the 118, 122 and 126 lb fighters he jumped on the scene competing against.

7. JusABoxinFan

Apr 20, 2022
    Oh, god.... Yet another individual who slept through half of his classes at whatever public school he/she attended.

Reign is in reference to THE TIME Loma spent at featherweight. Not the AMOUNT of time. There's a difference.

But since you want to use "barely" to describe his time at 126 lbs.... Let's have some fun.

Loma spent his first 2 years as a pro at the 126 lb limit. During that time he fought 6x during that time winning a world title in his 3rd fight. Then it took another 9 fights before Loma would fight an opponent whom had never fought below 130 lbs, Luke Campbell. Everyone he faced during that time were all smaller than him. A couple drastically smaller like Rigo.....

8. vargasfan1985

Mar 8, 2008
    I would never call someone who barely fought at 126 as having a reign

Smoochie likes this.
  9. vargasfan1985

Mar 8, 2008
    You act like Loma was huge at 126

Smoochie likes this.
  10. Ioakeim Tzortzakis

Aug 27, 2020
    Ok, that actually made me chuckle. :lol:

vargasfan1985 likes this.
  11. Grinder

Grinder Dude, don't call me Dude Full Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Loma was ducked more than any other boxer.

Smoochie and vargasfan1985 like this.
  12. Ioakeim Tzortzakis

Aug 27, 2020
    Doesn't change my point, though. Ducking is unfortunate, but we're not ranking a Boxer's legacy based on what if scenarios.

13. JusABoxinFan

Apr 20, 2022
    I don't have time to educate y'all on what the word "reign" means. Reign refers to the era or time occupied. There is no specific standard or minimum time required. A person's "reign" can be for 5 minutes or 5 decades.... It's still applies. Thus the phrase, "his reign was short lived".

You weird mfers are trying way too hard to argue off subject.... Read a book to help your comprehension/vocabulary on the English language.

Here, we are discussing boxing. Get on subject or stay out the conversation.

14. JusABoxinFan

Apr 20, 2022
    Loma walked in the ring north of 140 lbs multiple times on fight night while competing at 126 lbs. Since you want to join the conversation, how's bout you read the entire exchange and explain to me how that is any different from the individual I'm actually talking to, bringing up the fact that Crawford comes in the 20 lbs heavier at times when he was competing at 135 lbs.

15. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I don't think it's that different tbh.

DeGale won gold in those Olympics and fought for a title after Lomachenko anyways.

Loma had hype because he was the greatest amateur ever and smack in his prime.

If he turns pro in 2009 he probably fights no marks for 4 years before losing to Salido in his big step up