Very Good 1939 Footage...

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by thistle, Feb 9, 2020.

1. thistle

thistle Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 21, 2016
    here's a very good showing of a 1939 battle between lightweights Eric Boon and Arthur Danahar.

this footage is good enough and clear enough to see a Proper Fight and Fighting.

So as I've always said "it's the Film that's Poor Quality, NOT the Fighters...
    the only difference I see here in this film, is, that these boys were doing this every other week and for years on end too.

Good enough footage here for legitimate comparison.

This content is protected

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  2. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Mid - late 1930's was never the issue
    as far as making a fair comparison
    of fighters from different era's.
    It's 1920's down is the one I
    personally have issues with.
    Film had come along way by
    the late 30's.

3. thistle

Dec 21, 2016
    Agree Flash, pre mid late 20s, and Yes, the Film was Very Poor, but were the Fighters?

No and Yes, as I have always said.

NO! in that they were Hard, Tough and Capable men, BUT
    Yes, they were a bit poorer, the Fighters, because Stylish Athleticism didn't really evolve more commonly until the mid late 20s as I understand it.

there were exceptions of course, but Fighters were more crude until this evolutionary late 20s, early 30s period.

so I agree.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  4. thistle

Dec 21, 2016
    where are all the naysayers, that condemn past fighters because their s hi t, "look at them on film" they say.

Not on this Film their Not.

5. thistle

Dec 21, 2016
    I'm saying it is Good Enough Footage to see proper fighting and movement, which is all too rare among Old footage.

So the fact that these fighters in such Era's can look just as good and normal as any, and that also lends to the fact that their schedules were Double and Triple and Quadruple even than fighters today.

so all in that says plenty.

don't get lost on Trader buying & selling quality grading. it's not about that, it is as simple as visual Good Enough Quality to see Proper fighting. and this footage does just that!