Very sad update on Donald Curry

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mrkoolkevin, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Again I'm left scratching my head at your posts.I don't know if you have difficulty reading but I already wrote Don was a weight drained " zombie" that night" . Wheres the debate . I'm not disagreeing.

Honeyghan also beat Gianfranco Rosi at welterweight who was a long running 2 time 154 lbs champ shortly after.
    He beat Slyvestor Mittee who was rated no 3 in the world by Ko Boxing magazine.

He handed Maurice Blocker his first defeat another guy who went on to win a world title beating Starling.He also beat Johnny Bumphus just after he'd beaten Starling.He beat Jorge Vaca who knocked out Mark Breland.

Punched pretty good? Even with damaged hands he scored one punch knockouts over Gianfranco Rosi ....a one punch knockout over Jorge vaca....a one punch knockout over young kil cheng.. .the fastest ever knockout in a world title fight at the time with Hatcher... stopped Mickey Hughes with one punch ripping his nose to shreds, massacred Johnny Bumphus.

I'd say Stafford, Rosi, Mittee, Shufford,Curry,Bumphus,Blocker,Hatcher,Vaca,Cheung were a pretty decent string of victories.

You make a big thing about Honeyghans defeat to Starling...as being the first elite fighter he had faced since Curry...but Lloyd beat 3 guys who beat Starling....which elite fighters at all did Starling beat based on your logic?....None id say.....Breland was not elite...elite fighters don't get knocked out by Aaron Davis in their prime.
    nor Simon Brown who beat very weak competition as IBF champ in comparison to Starling and Honeyghan...Brown did beat Terry Norris...but so did Louis Santana twice ..Honeyghan though beat 1 elite fighter by your own admission in Curry....ps..Starling is one of my favourite fighters and people in boxing he belongs in the Hall of Fame....he proved he was the best welterweight from 1987 to 1990.....but I do think he beat a burnt out zombie too in honeyghan....Mike Tyson was saying it as early as the 2nd round " I've never seen Lloyd fight like this before ".

2. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Stafford got crushed by Curry INSIDE one round.
    Rosi? Really. In terms of top jr.middleweight champions you would rate him where?
    Aaron Davis was an unbeaten fighter who was vastly underachieving in boxing who in my opinion really didn't like boxing.
    Another boxrec warrior I see. Johnny Bumphus had trouble getting up the ring steps to face Llyodd that's how bad he was. He also only beat Starling through a technical decision in which his corner was begging the referee to stop the fight because he was up on the score cards and wouldn't have lasted the distance vs Starling.
    Vaca BEAT Honeyghan the first time remember?_
    That in itself is pretty bad.
    Simon Brown would have beaten Honeyghan very badly had they fought.
    Mittee was a very good boxer. Nice win by Honeyghan.
    But Stafford,Bumphus and Hatcher were beyond shot.
    Stafford in his prime was a pretty good boxer but he involved himself in way too many ring wars in sparring. To be honest he was also damaged goods in the Curry bout.
    Your using examples of his power against mostly shot fighters or fighters with weak chins.
    And Starling was past his prime by the time he fought Honeyghan- he only fought for only another year. It was a,combination of Honeyghan not having a game plan when option A didn't work and Starlings skill that did Honeyghan in.
    Simon Brown. Now he could hit. Honeyghan who has heavy hands isn't say near someone like a Brown in terms of power. Brown crushed Vaca in what 3 rounds and then stopped Blocker.
    But I agree with his comp was rather weak.

3. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Show me one bout where Honeyghan moved and boxed the entire bout????