[VID] Carnera vs. Baer: Round 2

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by reznick, May 17, 2017.

1. BlackCloud

BlackCloud I detest the daily heavyweight threads Full Member

Nov 22, 2012
    87% sure do agree!

mcvey likes this.
  2. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Irrelevant. The idea is he exhibits skills that most did not realize he possessed. He beat the true hwt champion and defended it TWICE. Once against one of the greatest technical boxers ever to live.

He also was a very decent human being. He should be given the level of credit he deserves and not the very disparaging and unnecessary comments.

reznick likes this.
  3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    87% of us believe that is what we have done.

4. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    Untrue. There is no need to disparage Carnera as what has been done here. There is enough evidence to conclude he was much better than given credit for both in terms of the filmed evidence as well as positive comments from those during his time. You can find both positive and negative opinions concerning most every fighter in boxing history including Ali. Carnera beat the true hwt champion and defended his title twice once against one of boxing all time great boxers. That's something no other hwt champion can say they did from Tunney to Louis. Give a decent guy and fighter a level of credit.

reznick likes this.
  5. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I give him the credit I think he is due.

6. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Indeed.

I would go as far as to suggest that he was given the credit he was due by many of the sports writers of the era, as well.

7. Contro

Contro Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Keeps trying to walk a man down who just dropped him badly with his hands down...
    nd Baer is just looking for one right hand. Im not sure how much credit Carnera can be given for landing some jabs/outboxing someone who was very crude to begin with and wasnt even trying to box with carnera but only looking for one big shot to end it at that point

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  8. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    Another uneducated opinion.