Video of me shadowboxing

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by devon, Mar 13, 2012.

1. devon

devon Guest

hey guys i uploaded this video of me shadowboxing today i know i am not good
    (i am just getting started) but could you guys check it out and give some constructional criticism. Don't be a jerk about it though because im pretty insecure about my boxing abilities. Im 14 btw

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k90G2l2Hapw&feature=plcp&context=C48bc6e4VDvjVQa1PpcFM_ajer7OiIW1cltJEKmAU7dp_f8DKUA1Q=[/ame]

2. PNoyFightFanUSN

PNoyFightFanUSN Larry Don't Give a **** Full Member

Apr 9, 2010
    First thing I noticed is you're squared up. When you shadowbox, you're basically standing, moving, and punching like you're in against someone. Simulate moving your hands from defense to offense, move your head, etc.

3. craigseventy

craigseventy Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    you ain't seeing no punches coming with that hair cut.

4. devon

devon Guest

LoL I know im going to get it cut before i get in an actual fight

5. devon

devon Guest

Anyone else?

6. LongJab

LongJab Active Member Full Member

Mar 22, 2011
    more movement. You basically are standing in one place moving your hands. I would lrather slow the speed down and work on in and out, side-stepping, pivoting, etc. Mix some fients in there. Mix blocks, parrys.

More like an actual fight as opposed to a speed workout (which sometimes can be good in itself if you are just looking for a workout).

And x2 on being too square.

7. r1p00pk

r1p00pk Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    try boxing in a more open space, boxing is more than just hands Its footwork too. Your too focused on speed and sort of hitting hard , i cant tell. When i shadow box im more relaxed work on your technique by doing it more slowly and relaxed. Dont give up technique for speed or power. Yeah you see manny pacquiao or whoever shadowboxing fast but thats because they have there technique down, from what i see your still new heck even im still new but doing things slowly is best thing for you to do when shadowboxing. Eventually over time you'll be able to transition your bobbing and weaving into your punches and the other way around. your a bit too squared up imo

theres my 2 cents, im still quite new 6 months boxing but all i can say other than that is listen to your coaches and trust them, if you think the advice is bad question them. Theyll provide you with a good reason.

8. devon

devon Guest

What exactly about my technique should i change

9. PNoyFightFanUSN

Apr 9, 2010
    Don't focus so much on throwing quickly. Start slowly so you can get a feel for moving around and keeping your hands in good positions to throw and block. Practice how you're supposed to turn your hands over, turning your shoulder into your punches, things like that. Do it slow to get the technique down and gradually add more speed as you start building muscle memory. If you're just starting out, you need to learn the basics and build that foundation

10. LongJab

Mar 22, 2011
    Do this: Get an open space where we can see your feet as you move. Move around like you would in a 16 ft ring. Focus on just this: Jab, double jab, jab right hand, and jab right hand hook.

Do this about half the speed you are doing and repost the video. Then you can tell subtle things like balance, head positioning, body angle, glove position etc etc

11. r1p00pk

r1p00pk Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 12, 2012

im not really good at explaining online, most i can say is elbows are out, alot of punches seem like arm punches.

Go to your coach(es) do some padwork, if theyre good coaches they will correct you. I just stopped the habit of loading up my right straight because of my coach.

Or have them explain to you how to properly throw a jab with perfect technique. Then shadow box, do it slowly think in your head am doing everything right? elbows tucked in, the punch is straight etc etc etc.

When i do my 4 rounds of bags i make sure the last round is for technique, footwork and punching.

Like i said though im still new but ive been where your at and i improved and become much better by doing what i just said.

12. LongJab

Mar 22, 2011
    Yeah. That too. Look at the hooks around the 0:30 mark. You should be pivoting to the point where we clearly see your right shoulder. And we don't. You should have hip and shoulder rotation on every punch but the jab (and some will argue you still should rotate on the jab a little too).

13. devon

devon Guest

Do you know of any good videos which demonstrates how i should be pivoting

14. PNoyFightFanUSN

Apr 9, 2010
    there's a lot of info available on youtube. There's also a thread for instructional videos. You can also find a lot of technique videos on rival.com(the boxing equipment maker)

15. LongJab

Mar 22, 2011
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k3oG9THXOM&feature=plcp&context=C4c658f4VDvjVQa1PpcFPuCkQEkvCu9tpO7SoyfvFZYAmrA7VXa5o[/ame]=

check out some of this guys stuff. its a start...