Vincente Saldivar vs Jeff Fenech @ 126

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Xplosive, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
  2. Ronnie Raygun

Ronnie Raygun Active Member banned Full Member

Aug 20, 2017
  3. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Gotta go with Vicente, who is a legitimate atg featherweight. Jeff, who is tough as hell and a great fighter in his own right, is not an atg feather and was a clearly better bantam and super bantam than he was at 126.

Bronze Tiger and timmers612 like this.
  4. Xplosive

Jun 23, 2008
  5. Xplosive

Jun 23, 2008
  6. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I go with Saldivar by a tough hard fought decision. Jeff will give fits to anyone IMO

Bronze Tiger likes this.
  7. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Bump. What a fight this would be, like 2 tanks colliding. Not sure who to pick, Saldivar would be more inclined to counter while Fenech comes at him with relentless pressure. May have to go with the more crafty southpaw Saldivar in a brutal scrap.

8. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
  9. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012
  10. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Saldivar is the most underated featherweight champion ever. Nobody ever talks about him hardly.
    He gives ANY featherweight in history a rough time and is capable of beating most featherweight greats.
    I actually think he was better then Sanchez.

11. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Hi buddy.
    He was indeed a ATG fw champ, and yes he would have given any champ a rough night, as for him being better than Sanchez, not so sure about that, but it's your opinion and your more than welcome to it, as a sort of comparison , I cannot see ( as good as he was ) Howard Winstone lasting 42 rounds with Sal, furthermore can't imagine Sanchez only beating Winstone by 1 point ( the 2nd fight ) so on balance for me Sanchez was the better fighter, and I would pick him to post a win over Vicente, almost certainly via points.
    stay safe matey, chat soon.

12. Fogger

Fogger Father, grandfather and big sports fan. Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    This would truly be an excellent scrap. Saldivar fought at featherweight basically his whole career while Fenech was only at 126 for a handful fights. From a featherweight ATG point of view Saldivar has some major notches on his belt and clearly ranks higher. From a H2H point of view this is really interesting. Fenech did well against southpaws and Saldivar handled all styles adroitly so I don't think they would trouble each other that way.

I am going with the Mexican great based on performances. He had wins over fighters who were close to being Fenech's equal if not slightly better. He stopped prime Sugar Rojas and prime Raul Rojas. He decisioned Famechon, Legra and Laguna. Fenech also has some good wins the best name being the great Carlos Zarate. However Zarate was at the end of a comeback after an almost seven year layoff and didn't have much left. Fenech couldn't beat Azumah Nelson in his heyday and I believe Saldivar was better than The Professor.