Vincente Saldivar W10 Ismael Laguna

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SuzieQ49, Jun 26, 2022.

1. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    This content is protected

great win by Saldivar over a future hall of fame lightweight champion. I had saldivar slightly better here

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I had it by a slim margin for Laguna. Despite being such a closely contested fight, it was seen as a bad robbery at the time. This IMO, is the best opponent Saldivar ever beat and Laguna in this one is a terror for any featherweight or any 130lber.

3. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Scored this a few years back and was in a discussion with @lufcrazy on the closeness of the bout and controversy on whether it was a robbery due to the two differing reports on the bout. This is what I wrote:

Vicente Saldivar v Ismael Laguna

Round 1: Laguna
    Round 2: Saldivar
    Round 3: Even
    Round 4: Laguna
    Round 5: Saldivar
    Round 6: Laguna
    Round 7: Saldivar
    Round 8: Laguna
    Round 9: Laguna
    Round 10: Saldivar

Total: 5-4-1 Laguna

Believe me, no robbery. This was damn close. It was Ali-Frazier stuff. Saldivar chasing down the elegant Laguna and when he did get inside he let it rip. However, Saldivar had to eat so much leather to get inside. It was so tight that I cannot dispute the UPI report, who had it 5-4-1 Saldivar. So many rounds were close they could have been scored even or for the other fighter. No robbery here. And I would suggest you all watch this for an enjoyable fight. Man, it was over before I knew it, which is how fast it played out

Man_Machine and Liston73 like this.