VIP Boxing News - KELLY KICKS OFF AT THE FORUM

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by stegsie, Feb 2, 2013.

1. stegsie

stegsie Active Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2007
    KELLY KICKS OFF AT THE FORUM

Popular unbeaten light-middleweight, Jimmy ‘Kilrain’ Kelly, is promising a blistering hometown performance that will bring the boxing good times back to the Wythenshawe Forum on March 1, when he tops the bill on VIP Promotions’ first 2013 show.

The youngster, 20, a former five-time junior national champion and England international, headlines a card full of North West talent at the venue, which hasn’t hosted professional boxing for a number of years. Jimmy is determined to do his bit to change that situation.

“To top the bill in my hometown is amazing,” stated Kelly, who had his first amateur bout aged 11.

“I’ve boxed there as an amateur but there hasn’t been professional boxing at The Forum for years, so to headline there in my first year as a pro is just a dream come true.

“I’ve got two good mates on the bill [Taz Apergis and Kofi Yates] who are also from Wythenshawe; between the three of us it should be a sell-out, and I’m looking forward to the atmosphere when we walk out [to the ring].

“It really is going to be a brilliant show. Apart from us three, there are also a few other Manchester lads on, like [Middleton’s] Matthew Ryan, Jamie Brown and Liam Taylor who are very good and bring a crowd.

“Cruiserweight Mike Stafford is also boxing and he’s a good fighter and pushing for a title, so there’s going to be some really entertaining fights.

"It’s going to be a great atmosphere, and fingers crossed this’ll become a good spot for pro boxing and we can get two or three shows here a year. Hopefully we can bring boxing back here for good.

“I just feel really proud to be bringing it back to Wythenshawe and hopefully it’ll inspire some of the local lads to take up boxing.”

There are high hopes for Jimmy, who has won five, with three wins coming inside the distance. A pro for just a year, it’s still early days but there are plenty of insiders who believe Kelly can go a long way in the sport.

Happy to accept the praise but with his feet firmly of the ground, for now the fledgling fighter just wants to keep busy, stay injury-free, and develop as a boxer.

“With me you get lots of action, because I’m a pressure fighter with a really entertaining style. I’m also really accurate with my punches and that’s how I’ve got my stoppages.

“At the minute I know it’s all about putting the hard work in and just being patient. I’m happy to keep under the radar and keep learning before getting a title.

“By the end of 2013 though I want to have got another three or four six-rounders under my belt and have moved up to eight rounds. By 2014 I’ll be looking to push on for a title.”

‘Wythenshawe Warriors’ will take place at the Wythenshawe Forum on March 1. Headlining will be local fighters – Jimmy ‘Kilrain’ Kelly, Taz Apergis and Kofi Yates. Also appearing will be Southport’s Mike Stafford, and Middleton’s Liam Taylor, Matthew Ryan and Jamie Brown.

Tickets, priced at £30 (General), £35.00 (Stage) and £50 (Ringside), are available from all boxers or at www.vipbe.co.uk

Keep updated on VIP Promotions’ news by visiting www.vipboxing.com or follow on Twitter @vipboxing. Currently, you can also watch free fights at www.vipboxing.tv and on the VIP YouTube channel.