VIPBoxing.com Gossip - Full Card for the 8th of December

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by stegsie, Nov 28, 2007.

1. stegsie

stegsie Active Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2007
    FULL CARD FOR THE 8TH DECEMBER SHOW AT WIGAN

12 X 3 JAMIE MOORE v BAYSANGOROV – EUROPEAN LIGHT-MIDDLEWEIGHT TITLE
    12 X 3 CHRIS EDWARDS v JAMIE McDONNELL – BRITISH SUPER FLYWEIGHT TITLE
    12 X 3 ALI NUUMBEMBEE v CRAIG WATSON - COMMONWEALTH WELTERWEIGHT TITLE
    6 x 3 BRIAN ROSE v SEAN FALMER
    6 x 3 MARK THOMPSON v SERGIE STARKOV
    6 x 3 SCOTT HEYWOOD v GAVIN TAIT
    6 X 3 MARK MORAN v DANNY WALLACE
    6 x 3 GARY SYKES v PETER ALLEN
    6 X 3 JASON BOOTH v TBA
    4 X 3 ALEX MATVIENKO v MARK PHILLIPS
    4 X 3 JASON RUSHTON v TBA
    4 x 3 JACK ARNFIELD v TBA

The above 12 fights make up for a splendid evening of boxing at the Robin Park Arena and tickets priced £40/£80 and £125 are still available from the boxers/venue or
    This content is protected
    - prices include for big screening of the Hatton v Mayweather contest. Doors open at 7.30 for boxing to commence at 8.00 pm and the title fights are planned for 10 pm , 11pm and midnight. Entertainment ,Food and drink will be available through the night.

2. The Lads

The Lads Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I understand that the board will decide when the contest will now take place.

3. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007

Is this match up for real?

After all the controversy surrounding Mark Thompson not fighting Kell Brook in the Title eliminator on the 8th?

The only Starkov I can find on the records - W16 L44 D2 = 62.

Something like 17 losses out of his last 20 fights (lost count).

4. The Lads

Oct 22, 2007
    Yes, Mark deserves an "easy" fight to end what has been a damned tough year! I honestly dont think Ive known a 2prospect" fight two tougher fighters than Vuma and Horta in succession.

5. elle

Aug 21, 2007
    Why not just rest the guy?

Agree Vuma and Horta were tough fights (although not back to back) but this is going from one extreme to another.

Seems Sykes and Matvienko deserve "easy" fights also?

Sykes opponent record? - W5 L28 D2 = 35

Matvienko opponent record? - W9 L49 D0 = 58

6. The Lads

Oct 22, 2007
    because he has to put food on the table.

Matvienkos opponent... dont read too much into records. He beat Jojofinigan a couple of fights ago and is 15-20lbs heavier than alex.

As for Sykes opponent record... I was in liverpool the night many looked at his record and scoffed when he fought the well thought of David Appleby. He shouldve won that fight. he also took Mr Johanneson 9 rounds in 2005. Peter comes to fight, he may not be technically the best, but he wont roll over.

Dont always judge fighters by their records

7. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    I can confirm Peter Allen is tough as **** I broke my hand punching his rock-head. Also Peter has a win over Eddie Nevins and a draw with Isaac Ward so he can't be that bad..... Records mean jack to guys like that. He doesn't punch hard but anyone he fights has a tough time- though he is seeming a bit more fragile these days.

8. STEVE WOOD

STEVE WOOD Member Full Member

Jun 4, 2007
    THE LADS - The board will actually decide if the contest does take place , if they do then SN will decide when it takes place. Mark wants the fight but was not ready for the 8th December , due to a misunderstanding I never informed the board that he would not be ready for that date and now purse bids have been won SN are trying to get Mark withdrawn and Kell Brook a straight shot at the title.

ELLE - I find it very hard to understand how you can question the matchmakinging on this show , all our shows for SKY with FTM sports have been very very good. I look at other peoples cards and think they are having a bet to see who can put the worse show on.

STEVE WOOD

9. The Lads

Oct 22, 2007
    Pacey got him with some perfect shots, they'd have dropped most. Didnt see Castles finish. As Jeff says, Peter is tough. Gary, for me, is a great prospect, so I think he'll drop and finish Peter. Any complacency and Peter will capitalise though.

10. elle

Aug 21, 2007
    I accept he has to earn a living it - was the choice of opponent that was in question.

Matvienko's opponent - for someone who doesn't read too much into records you managed to recall his only win in his last 24 fights and that would appear to be close (96-95).

As for Syke's opponent record - as well as this there is the fact he hasn't fought for approx 15 months and usually campaigns at super featherweight (hence your reference to Johanneson). Think Syke's fights at lightweight.

Of course you shouldn't just judge fighters by their records - thats why the other things I've mentioned such as inactivity and weight differences are also taken into consideration.

It was your suggestion that Thompson's fight was "easy" which led me to suggest that Sykes and Matvienkos had easy fights lined up as well.

11. The Lads

Oct 22, 2007
    Gary and Alex's opponents have as many wins as they have fights, well 14-16. they're brought in as low risk opponents so the young, inexperienced fighters can ply their trade and learn from ring experience. The difference between the Allens and Phillips' and the likes of Peter Buckley is that the Allens and Phillips will attack, and not just cover up and look to survive.

As for the record comment "for someone who doesn't read too much into records you managed to recall his only win in his last 24 fights and that would appear to be close" - I recalled that win as its the one Alex mentioned in the gym on Friday. Phillips beat JonJoFinigan, who a steady operator, over 10. Thats not looking into a record, thats picking out a good recent win.

Marks opponent also has more wins than MArk has had fights, and of the 44 defeats he has only been put away 8 times. This suggests he is a durable operator. Mark has been suffering from Flu, as has been widely reported, so quite who did you expect him to be in with? Most novice fighters take on similar assignemnts at this point in their career. Mark has lots to work on following his last outing.

12. elle

Aug 21, 2007
    Similarly I find it very hard to understand how you could fail to inform the Board that Thompson wouldn't be available for the Title eliminator with Brook on the 8th. I'm a fan so really hope this doesn't affect Thompson's chances of getting a shot when the Board make a decision.

With all due respect I am not surprised at your comment on my questioning some of the match ups on the Wigan bill - as you are the promoter I wouldn't expect you to agree. I have demonstated why in some of my other responses. It is not a case of being critical for the sake of it - I have praised VIP bills on this very forum and fought VIP's corner to some extent over the Thompson v Brook criticism in the 8th December thread. I note your point about other promoters cards and I can assure you they get their fair share of criticism on ESB too.

13. The Lads

Oct 22, 2007
    Probably because Brook was due to fight Young on the 15th Dec, and Mark was already scheduled to fight on the 8th. Common sense would deem the fight to take place around feb, but then common sense and boxing doesnt always follow.

14. elle

Aug 21, 2007

Is that the same Peter Buckley (W31 L248 D11 = 290) who fought one of your fighters on a VIP bill in June of this year?

Yes you picked out a recent win for Phillips - his only recent win in the last two years.

Thompson's opponent Starkov may have marginally more wins than Thompson has had fights (14). The difference being Starkov has lost 12 of his last 14 and Thompson only 1 loss.

Quite who did I expect Thompson to be in with? Lets just say my expectations were higher - even taking the flu and everything else into consideration.

On another note, what happened regards my suggestion Moore & Thompson come onto ESB for a Q&A session? Have responded to your PM about this. Presume you put it to them? Would be great for the forum.

15. The Lads

Oct 22, 2007
    not one of MY fighters. Buckey fought Debutant John Kays.