Vitali Klitschko vs. D. Jones, J Young and M Spinks

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, Apr 12, 2015.

1. edward morbius

edward morbius Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Mendoza

"Pro boxing is different and Vitali had not been pro for long."

This I find an incredibly weak argument.

I checked Vitali's record. He started as a pro kick boxer and had 35 fights.

Then he had an amateur boxing career which almost led him to the Olympics, but he failed a drug test.

His record as an amateur was 195-15.

You flip-flop on amateur records from one post to another. You use the amateur record positively now and then pointing to how well grounded they are, but now you are basically saying an extensive amateur career doesn't matter much.

Now as a pro.

Vitali had 27 professional fights. He had won the European championship and defended it twice. He then won the WBO world championship and defended it twice before meeting Byrd.

Now this is a man within three months of his 29th birthday, had been a pro boxer for over three years. and was fighting his fourth world championship fight.

I find it incredible and totally unconvincing to use inexperience as an excuse for this man and this fight.

It is nothing unusual for a young fighter on the way up stumbling against a veteran who knows how to survive and make them miss. For example, Louis against Brown. Marciano against Lowry. Patterson against Maxim. Foreman against Peralta. Etc. It is part of learning.

But to get all the way to being world champion and claim inexperience?

2. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007

Just watched it again, ED

You could make a case for giving round 4 to Byrd. It was his best round till then, but it could be awarded either way.

There was no other round that you could reasonably give to Byrd. The script was the same each round. Klitschko coming forward, throwing and landing more, dictating the pace, interrupted ever once in a while by Chris bursting forth for a few seconds with a flurry that ran counter to the overall flow.

8-1 at the time of stoppage.

Vitali could have coasted to a clear UD.

And only Vitali knows whether it was wise to end matters there. He has a doctorate in sports medicine, and knew what was the state of his shoulder. He may have felt that three more rounds would damage it beyond repair. He was 29 and still had some years left.

He did have two separate surgeries subsequently to repair it.

That's why I mentioned an asterisk earlier.

This is hardly a good indicator of who might have beaten Klitschko, based on Byrd's performance in which he was close to being shut out.

3. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I agree Ed's card was way out there.

4. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    You have some points.

Prior to the Byrd fight, Vitali had only been past six rounds once, and never past 10. To redefine what I said, that was my point on experience.

Vitali had also been pro for about three years, and as mentioned was preparing for Razor Ruddock fight, not Byrd who was the sub.

If you think 3 years as a pro who had only been past 6 rounds once, and never ten = an experienced pro boxer I have to disagree a bit.

The European championship belt had three fights that lasted a combined five rounds for Vitlai. Not much experienced gained here.

Let's be real, the main reason he lost was due to the shoulder tear. The inexperience and taking the fight on less than 2 weeks notice are minor points, but valid.

5. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    And he took an a polar opposite type of opponent. From an old Ruddock to a youthful Chris Byrd. Whole different set of boxing attributes between those two. what other manager/promoter doesn't go after an easy to hit plodder instead of a trickster southpaw? They are not given any credit for taking the toughest path instead of the easiest path which would have beeen an old face first heavy.

6. N_ N___

N_ N___ Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 1, 2014
    He'd stop Jones and win wide against Young and Spinks in really boring fashion.

7. edward morbius

Sep 5, 2011
    The 4th was one of Vitali's strongest rounds for me.

Both Lederman and I gave Byrd the 5th and 7th rounds.

I differ from you guys in giving Byrd the 9th, but I feel justified in doing so re-watching it. Several rounds were close, and I gave Byrd one of them, the 3rd.

Scoring a fight is totally subjective. What matters to me is how many punches land and how effective they are. Vitali was just missing, and the final compubox totals of 132 to 124 punches landed was about what I would have expected.

Anyway if I were scoring it, Byrd could have pulled it out by decision.

8. edward morbius

Sep 5, 2011
    "taking the fight on less than 2 weeks notice"

Wasn't this true for Byrd also. It is like a team complaining about the weather if they lose, but it was the same weather for both teams.

"inexperience"

Tells us a great deal about the competitive level. It is interesting that later fighters have often been able to take Vitali deep into a fight quite often.

Thanks for the tip on Larry Donald. That fight is on youtube and I'll watch it as soon as I have time.

9. edward morbius

Sep 5, 2011
    So the world champion finds it a big problem to be matched with a fighter who can slip, duck, block, and roll with punches.

Apparently this hadn't happened before?

I'm tearing up for poor Vitali.

"What other manager/promoter doesn't go after an easy to hit plodder instead of a trickster southpaw?"

I thought the idea of being the champion was to be matched with the best, including tricksters.

But then I guess I'm just very old and very old school.

10. heizenberg

heizenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 6, 2013
    I think Klitschko's size, strength to go along with his activity would be too much for all three of these guys... Jones, Young and Spinks were all small and not very strong heavies, Ali and Holmes had a strength and size advantage over them but not nearly the size and strength advantage Klitschko would have. I feel it would be too much to go along with Klitschko's skills. I think he stops all of them in the early to mid rounds. Now against say Holmes or Ali, Klitschko would have a size and strength advantage but not to the same degree he had over the three mentioned I'd favor both Holmes and Ali in their primes to beat Klitschko though there are no sure things when you match up fighters of their quality from different eras.

11. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008

Boxing has long since turned into the art of cherry picking. Managers pick the route of least resistence for their guy. For decades. Going from a 37 year old ruddock to a young southpaw in Byrd is as wide as it gets.

Other managers don't sign the fight. The fight we get instead is a face first easy to hit heavy. Like an Alex Stewart type guy. Not a guy the champ has to solve. Heavies that have to be solved require long training periods, even if they can manage to get a big fight. Short notice? Look for the face firsts.

12. edward morbius

Sep 5, 2011
    I came across an interview Byrd gave to Ryan Songalia in 2011,

in which Byrd claims he sought a rematch with Vitali but was shifted to Wlad,

here is the quote,

"If I lost to a guy, and got criticized and thought I was winning easy, I would want a rematch. I asked for one, but they wanted me to fight Wladimir instead."

Interesting.

13. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Vitali was recovering from a surgery Ed. He wasn't ready for re-match, and Byrd lost to Wlad 6 months later. Perhaps that is why Universum selected Wlad. Vitlai's first come back fight was 6 weeks after Wlad defeated Byrd.

It is clear Vitali wanted the re-match!

[url]http://www.secondsout.com/usa-boxing-news/usa-boxing-news/vitali-klitschko-wants-byrd-rematch-in-us[/url]

Vitali Klitschko wants Byrd rematch in US

Former WBO heavyweight champion and current WBC No.2 contender Vitali Klitschko wants to come to America to erase the sole blemish on his professional record.

The hammer-fisted Klitschko, 31-1 (30), lost his WBO crown to slippery southpaw Chris Byrd in the most unfortunate of circumstances in April 2000 when he injured his rotator cuff whilst leading clearly on all three scorecards. Vitali retired in agony after the ninth round, but has thirsted for revenge ever since.

Since the day when I lost my WBO title I badly wanted to fight Byrd again, said Klitschko. I would love to come to the US and fight Byrd over there. He never beat me. He never beat a Klitschko. My rotator cuff beat me, not Byrd. Even though I was fighting almost one armed from round two on I was ahead on points.

After I lost the title to Byrd, my brother Wladimir stepped in and won back the WBO belt for the Klitschko family, but this is not enough for me. I want my own revenge against Byrd.

I'm longing for the moment when I can shut up Byrd's big mouth by myself, he added. I want the rematch in the United States. So Byrd will have no excuses left anymore after I beat him.

Klitschko, also ranked WBA No.3 and WBO No.2, stopped the durable Vaughn Bean in 11 rounds in February and now appears to have put that painful injury behind him.

How long does a recovery take? This web site says a torn rotator cuff takes 6-12 months before a return to sports. Again, Vitali wasn't ready to fight so soon

[url]http://www.howardluksmd.com/education/common-injuries/recovery-from-rotator-cuff-surgery/[/url]

14. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I always felt that one was odd. Vitali caught so much heat Stateside for Byrd, and surely Wlad could have found someone else to fight? It was an unusual bum move by the brothers that left Vitali with not one but two unavenged losses.

15. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Here is the problem I have with the arguments mounted for Vitally Klitschko.

They hang very heavily on what people suppose he could have done.

Reinhardt likes this.