Vitali Klitschko vs Evander Holyfield

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by El Hans, Jun 4, 2019.

1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Why do you only show your forehead

WAR01 likes this.
  2. WAR01

WAR01 In the 7.2% Full Member

Aug 19, 2019
    That’s his neck that hair is his beard...

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  3. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012
  4. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007

Holyfield has a lot of fans, but they must admit is he struggled vs. skilled bigger guys. Bowe was 2-1 in the series and could very well be 2-0-1 as the one match Holyfield won was very close, and aided by a 17-minute break which allowed an often gassed Holyfield time to re-fuel.

Lewis should be 2-0 vs. Holyfield, the 1st fight was a robbery draw.

Holyfield also didn't do well vs. fighters who can jab well that were his size, Moorer who upset him showed. Even an older Holmes bother Hoyfield a bit.

Lewis should be 2-0 vs. Holyfield, the 1st fight was a robbery draw. So 4-1 vs Lewis and Bowe. 1-1 vs Moorer.

Vitali compared to these three, easily has the best chin, and he's probably among the harder to catch cleanly. He certainly has an active jab which Holyfiled had issues with from taller men.

Tyson is so much shorter, and was past his best, so he's not really relevant to this match up. I won't mention the Ruiz fights or getting Ko'd by a blown up middle as Holy was past his best that point.

Depending on which Holyfield shows up, Vitali wins either points decision or gets a late round TKO.

ideafix12 likes this.
  5. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Holyfield has a much better record than Vitali so it is hard to see your point in this long post. I have no problem with Holyfield getting the draw against Lewis because of what happened in their 2nd fight. Neither fight was judged fairly.

The strangest thing is that you previously said that Vitali can fight on the inside. I just do not see that at all.

6. ideafix12

ideafix12 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Vitali ud
    8-4,9-3
    The only chance i see Holyfield to do a close fight is to fight dirty and not let Klitschko move or jab

Mendoza likes this.
  7. RightLeftCombo

RightLeftCombo Active Member Full Member

Feb 21, 2019
    I think this is a distance fight as they both had good chins. It's quite hard to decide but I might just go prime Holyfield of the early to mid 90's in a close bout, maybe a 115-113 points type of decision. I think his stamina, activity and busy action style might give him the edge over VK on most nights.

mcvey and Smokin Bert like this.
  8. VVMM

VVMM Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2012
    I think the best version Holyfield by a comfortable UD.
    But, by their carrier Holyfield looks very beatable and V. Klitschko would beat an average Holyfield.

9. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I'll pick Holyfield on a cut.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  10. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    No, he does not have a much better record

WHAT?

Vitali is 45-2. Holyfield is 44-10-2. Come again on who has the better record?

Both lost to Lewis and Byrd, though in Vitali's case he was clearly in the lead and injuries, not ability was the reason for the losses.

The both fought Donald. Vitali beat the crap out of him, Holyfield lost via decision. As I said Holy has issues vs taller fighters who can jab.

Few think Holyfield won either fight with Lewis, you are in the minority. The first fight was Lewis. The 2nd fights was Lewis. If you must check the punch stats by round and you'll see. 195-137 in favor of Lewis for the 2nd fight, who also threw more overall and landed more power punches 119-85. Lewis also had better accuracy. At the end of the fight, Lewis raised his hands. Holyfield did not. Holy knew he lost.

Vitali could if he wanted to fight on the inside. He had an uppercut and body punch. When you 6'7" 1/2 " tall and move like he did, why give up the advantages and fight on the inside where a much shorter opponent can reach you?

I don't even think Holyfield tactic of coming in law and smashing the top of his head into the other fighters face would work. Vitlai is too tall for that.

ideafix12 likes this.
  11. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Because Vitali only lost once on a cut as an amateur and pro in 200+ matches? Holy was cut more often than Vitali was as a pro.

12. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Hey, that's my pick.

Holyfield TKO7 Vitali.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  13. THE BLADE 2

Jul 14, 2009
    please what is Vitali’s best win? Evander has beaten the better fighters.

Lewis stopped Vitali.Holyfield went the distance with a younger and fitter Lewis and has a draw with him.Byrd stopped Vitali.holyfield was over 40 so it is not even very relevant.

Vitali has no idea how to fight on the inside.None.

George Crowcroft and mcvey like this.
  14. THE BLADE 2

Jul 14, 2009
    Fact is against his best competition Vitali lost twice.

15. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Haha, okay. Vitali via DQ or NC due to Holyfield postive PED's is more likely than a Holy via TKO cuts stoppage. Cuts wins are very rare. You could probably get 20-1 on that bet.

As I mentioned Holyfield was cut more often Off the top of my head. Holmes cut Holy. So did Moorer. Holyfield was cut badly vs Sherman " tank " Williams. After the end of the round, Holyfield told his corner that he was unable to see due to the cut. The ref ruled there was a clash of head and the fight became a no contest, but Holyfield wasn't very Spartan in this one.

ideafix12 likes this.