wake up and smell the coffee Joe

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by billy nelson, May 26, 2013.

1. billy nelson

billy nelson the fighting scots gym Full Member

Jan 9, 2009
    I just read an article were Joe Gallagher reckons Anthony Corolla should he beat Gavin Rees will box Ricky Burns and according to our Joe expose Ricky's flaws, please Joe get in the real world.
    1.Gavin Rees is by far the hardest fight Anthony has ever had.
    2. It is not an eliminator like he states.
    3. Joe should be much more concerned with Anthony's flaws which have been exposed by Derry Mathews twice and in prizefighter.
    4.Ricky would totally dominate Anthony and stop him in a very one sided fight.
    I cant blame Joe for bigging up his boxer and trying to get him a world title shot but I cant see this fight happening has Ricky has much bigger fish to fry.

2. Yeah I can't see crolla who I like a lot getting near a ring with Ricky unless he shows some dramatic improvements
    It's most people's opinion that Anthony should drop down in weight to super feather but then there are less opportunities for televised action and high level domestic battles
    I hope crolla gives a good account of himself against Rees but the most obvious problem being Gavin's going to catch up with him eventually and he will neutralise any height disadvantage with his excellent head movement and jab

I think Anthony can have success though as he is technically very good,against willie limond he was punch perfect and a repeat of that makes him competitive but Rees is a different proposition altogether

Joes theory of an eliminator is probably based on rumours of Ricky fighting Rees after

3. Solaris

Solaris Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Stop ducking Broner, Billy.

4. pijo

pijo Feed the Pope Full Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Burns would beat Crolla handily. He is a coulpe of levels above him. I like crolla alot but Burns would be far too much for him.

Have they ever sparred Billy?

5. joe knows ree's is being lined up for burns hence him thinking its a eliminator

6. billy nelson

Jan 9, 2009
    With the fullest of respect Willie was weight drained that night hence his move up in weight to LWW.
    There a massive diffrence between commonwealth/British and world title levels as I'm sure Joe would tell you coz he's found that out

7. billy nelson

Jan 9, 2009
    Yes they have sparred when Anthony was with Arnie Farnell also we have sparred Gavin Rees.
    Imo Gavin will be far to quick and strong at LW for Anthony who just doesn't seem to be a natural LW, I know people are saying theres better opportunities at LW but if you don't produce the goods your not at the right weight!
    With all respect losing and drawing for the commonwealth and losing in prizefighter doesn't exactly make you a world title contender?

8. billy nelson

Jan 9, 2009
    That shits boring now mate get into your thick head Ricky was offered Broner once with 7 weeks notice it was declined coz that never gave us enough time to prepare right,what part of that can't you grasp or would you like me draw you pictures FFS:rofl:rofl

9. billy nelson

Jan 9, 2009
    No he's not getting lined up for Ricky!

10. does not matter anyway ree's is gonna hammer crolla

crolla needs to move down asap

11. pijo

pijo Feed the Pope Full Member

Jul 28, 2007
    I agree he should drop down a weight but i suppose he thinks he is in line for a title shot and LW is where the money is for him so from his point of view he should stay at LW. I would personally be disappointed if Ricky fought Crolla.

Is Juan Diaz back at LW? If he gets a few wins under his belt and looks good then I would like to see him over here. I used to love watching him fight. Him and Marquez was one of my favourite fights.

12. TED 822

TED 822 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Thank God for that and nice to hear it from you also.IMO theres too much of this comparison rubbish.No reason to throw Gavin in with Ricky to see if he can do as well as Broner,I reckon.Just like they're mentioning Khans last opponent for Brook on here.Gavin may want it but can't see many others doing.
    Regarding Crolla,agree hes nowhere near that level yet,if ever.If he has a career nearly as good as Rees he will be doing extremely well,but I could see,due to his youth,that he could actually beat him at this stage.But I would still back Rees slightly.

13. Beeston Brawler

Beeston Brawler Comical Ali-egedly Full Member

Jan 9, 2008
    If Crolla actually used some of his ability he'd have a chance against Rees.

Fighting in that style he'll get his **** pushed in, and probably be stopped in the late rounds.....

It'll follow the same pattern, taking too many straight shots, too many body shots, being unable to establish your jab or counter because your guard is too high and tight.

14. Boxalot

Boxalot Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 8, 2010
    He could do a Ricky Burns and fight commonwealth/British level opponents for world titles.

15. Makingweight

Makingweight Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 7, 2011
    BB,
    Pretty much spot on in that assessment.
    Instead of developing into the boxer he should of been Crolla hasn't come on at all.
    If he tries to stay in front of Rees he will be taken into a war that will suit Rees down to the ground.Crolla has started to cut a bit & due to previous fight's involving Rees could well happen again & not just because of heads coming together!