Walking through opponets

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by baconmaker, Jan 8, 2017.

1. baconmaker

baconmaker Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Apr 23, 2013
    I've done a lot of film study of Mike Tyson. What I've noticed is that he walk throughs his opponets. Watch Spinks fight, he counters every shot Spinks throws and absolutely destroys and overpowers him.

Any advices how to develope that kind of style to get inside and walk through opponet?

2. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    Being shorter helps. Lots of head movement (bobbing and weaving) is a must.

3. Giacomino

Giacomino Member Full Member

Oct 15, 2016
    His style involved very speedy, constant head movement, highly aggressive sustained attack, and lightning fast, very hard punches.

His style is very effective - if you have those physical gifts. Most people don't posess them.

Tyson and Ali, and I suppose today Mayweather, each played a significant part in the diminuition of skills in your average boxer. Especially in the amateurs one sees a lot of guys looking to try to do what they did, but without having the tools to do it.

I would suggest, unless you also share Tyson's freakish physical gifts, learning the more textbook stuff first, then experimenting with adding your own flavour. Yours, though, not his. And if you do share his gifts, then learn as he did with the basics first.