Want to Start Boxing (need Advice)

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Aa_33, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Aa_33

Aa_33 New Member Full Member

Jul 18, 2017
    Im seriously considering boxing because ever since 09 when i saw my first ppv fight Pacquiao vs hatton i really enjoy watching boxing like alot even though i've always played basketball.... Im 6'2 131 which i know is real small i know but im super coordinated for my height mostly because i play PG, im just wondering if i stayed around this weight class would i thrive in amateurs, also since im 17 is it too old to start, i know if i start i will be dedicated but i feel like i would have more of a chance is i stayed at this weight but idk i need advice....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JagOfTroy

JagOfTroy Jag Full Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Find a coach. He will determine things like what weight to fight at.
    Don't be concerned with anything other than your passion for boxing and to learn.

reznick and aaalbert like this.
  3. Aa_33

Aa_33 New Member Full Member

Jul 18, 2017
    thanks for the advice, i have been looking around but in my area there aren't any boxing gyms only mma, where would i find a coach...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. JagOfTroy

JagOfTroy Jag Full Member

Jul 5, 2009
    An MMA gym couldn't hurt as a start. You won't learn great striking technique but the ground work is useful in areas outside of Boxing and it can lead you to finding a real boxing instructor.

5. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Full Member

May 18, 2013
    If you want to be boxing you'll need to find a boxing gym, unless you're taking the McGregor route. Is there not even a kick boxing gym? Or is there a boxing gym anywhere where you would be ok commuting?
    Joining a MMA gym is sure better than nothing, but if you want to box there is no substitute.

6. Northadox

Northadox Active Member Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    Is that 131lbs?

If that's 6'2 131lbs you'll have an automatic advantage of height/reach and you'll control the outside very comfortably. Working on a good jab, footwork and distance control will help you dictate the fights

If it's not 131lbs and I just mis-understood it then my bad

This is all on paper of course, things are a lot different in the ring, but that was my first impression!

7. Giacomino

Giacomino Member Full Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I'd say join a gym, get in shape, and learn the basics.

Don't worry what weight class you're in since that won't be relevant for at least - at least - six months.

Pondering your weight class at this stage is like someone who is cramming for his driving test wondering which sponsors he'll have on the race car he's driving.

reznick likes this.