Ward found Kovalev speed difficult to deal with. Imagine what Calzaghe would've done to Ward!

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by lewis didn't gas, Jan 18, 2017.

1. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Kovalev was too quick strong and smart for ward. Zaggers would be too quick smart and relentless for ward.

lewis didn't gas and pincai like this.
  2. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    zaggers with his wild weak speed swings would get picked apart by ward. ward walks through him and turns it into an infight, hitting joe with ease, or beats him on the outside.

unless in wales, where joe gets droppped in one and mysteriously turns to his welsh ref to ask him to stop it immediately.

3. Staminakills

Staminakills Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 8, 2012
    I have NO doubt in my mind how grave a mismatch this would had been and probably still could be. Calzaghe slaps ward around the ring for 10 out of 12.

Ward couldn't EVER compete competitively with Calzaghe

4. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Hans, you and your alts will be gone soon. Soon. Bye bye

5. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Lol. How would you know about his posting history when you JUST JOINED lol. You'll be gone soon, hans

6. BlizzyBlizz

BlizzyBlizz VIP Member Full Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Some ****en clown ass amateur reject alt claiming to be a boxing fan.

drenlou likes this.
  7. Flamazide

Flamazide Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Jul 27, 2016
    It wasn't Kovalev's speed that caused Ward the most problems. It was his hard jab and his strength. Kovalev's jab and ability to utilize his range kept Ward on the end of his punches and kept hurting him too much for him to do anything. The rounds where Kov had the most success he was just beating Ward up from the outside. Kovalev's power stopped Ward from coming on the inside and doing any work without trying to hold him to stop the punches. When he tried to go in without tying him up he got put down immediately. Calazaghe poses a different set problems. Maybe Calzaghe would win, maybe he wouldn't, but I can't look at what Kovalev did to Ward and use that as evidence for how Calzaghe would so since they fight entirely different have different skill sets/attributes.

8. Caper

Caper How about a fair shake? banned Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Wait, wait so now we are comparing Jeff Lacy with Andre Ward in an attempt to legitimize our stand because Andre and Jeff would have brought the same blue print. You know I'm starting to spite Hillary Clinton more and more these days....I think she has strong indirect connection to the influx of certain folks on these boards.

9. Gannicus

Gannicus 2014 Poster of the Year Full Member

Mar 4, 2014
    I've always seen this as such an even fight.

10. Caper

Apr 4, 2005
    I almost get the feeling we that over the last 6 months human society has been spiraling down this hateful, spiteful and intolerant rabbit hole. Its as if we've done away with the idea of applying anything constructive to our opinions and blindly go with what makes us feel comfortable and powerful. Im telling you I've been on this site for a long time and its never ever been this polarized with confirmation bias.

DoubleJab666 likes this.
  11. DoubleJab666

DoubleJab666 Dot, dot, dot... Full Member

Nov 9, 2015

I've not been active here too long, despite my join date, but I agree it's been getting pretty toxic lately. Now I don't mind some decent, good-humoured trolling from some of the usual suspects from either side, but trolling devoid of any humour rapidly descends into being merely hateful.

I actually think for some what is to us a boxing forum is in fact a platform to express a wider cultural anger in a world which has been split along these lines, partly intentionally by our political elite - divide and rule basically. But I'm not gonna get into that here... lol.

Generally I try seek out the more interesting and balanced posters, from all perspectives, and I've learned a lot about the sport and fighters from some very knowledgeable folk.

Caper likes this.
  12. Caper

Apr 4, 2005
    You're spot on with the observations and to be honest I also enjoy overstepping the invisible/marginal lines however, as you just stated it isn't to difficult to notice the underlying focus with some. I've found myself seeking out the much needed boxing fix by searching old interviews and fights on YouTube.

DoubleJab666 likes this.
  13. Above Deck

Above Deck Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I tend to think both Kovalev and Ward would have disposed of Calzaghe relatively easily. The ghost of Roy had Calzaghe rocked early on in their fight (round 1 from memory), so I don't think a prime Ward or Kovalev would've had too many dramas. Different levels I think. Calzaghe was just that level below the top tier.

14. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    cant see cowardzaghe even thinking about getting in the ring with either till they were 40something and he was still in good form himself, so no, not gonna happen.

He'd talk about it though, mouthing off in cardiff the the welsh argus...and then fighting instead rick thornberry.

15. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2012
    To be fair, Kovalev is deceptively fast.

Also, I think Kovalev is a bad match-up for Calzaghe stylistically, just as Calzaghe would for Ward. I just see Calzaghe overwhelming Ward and outworking him.