Warren signs with Sentanta!

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Max Molyneux, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Max Molyneux

Max Molyneux Liverpool Liver Tickler Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
  2. sandwichsurgeon

sandwichsurgeon Active Member Full Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Boxing almost became mainstream again here, oh well:-(

3. Smith

Smith Monzon-like Full Member

Mar 8, 2007
    for **** sake, thats ****ed!

4. sandwichsurgeon

sandwichsurgeon Active Member Full Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Then again since boxing isn't on all year round and there are big gaps between fights it wouldn't be too much hastle to get a months subscription then cancel would it? It's only a tenner a month:think

5. Max Molyneux

Jul 11, 2005
    ITV got 8 million viewers when Audley bored us In the 1st Wiiliams fight which proves that boxing can be mainstream.

6. Max Molyneux

Jul 11, 2005
    I'm pissed that Calzaghe Vs Kessler Is on Sentanta and not a UK channel.

7. MrSmall

MrSmall Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Give me 5 years, guys, I'll bring it home.

8. BigEars

BigEars Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 30, 2006
    It'll be on Setanta Sport 1 , which is a UK Satellite channel the same way Sky Sports 1 is . Setanta as a group are Irish but originally set up in the American market .

However I too am unhappy this isn't on (UK)terrestrial tv , I don't want to keep forking out for Setanta but it seems I may have to .

Don't Setanta have a deal with Fight Academy now too ?

9. rooq

rooq Rooq's Boxing Promoter Full Member

Jan 16, 2007
    tenner a month through a freeview box with card slot i think. fifteen if you're using a sky box.

i have setanta until early august due to the ricky hatton fight, but i'm definitely cancelling in august because i haven't watched the channel since.

if you can still leave and join without getting tied down to a contract i may follow your suggestion at least for the calzaghe fight...i suppose at least you get a few football matches as well.

i'm still pissed off though. i can see us ending up in the same position as the united states where most of the top boxing is tied to two subscription channels (HBO and Showtime) or PPV.

edit: just checked the website and it looks like it has come down to a tenner a month.

10. dwilson

dwilson Guest

I havnt watched it since the hatton fight either, it is ****.

Have they made thier mind up about the prem games and the amount of boxing on offer?

11. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Fight Academy and Sports Network on Setanta. Plus random fights like Cotto-Judah. Looks like I will have to invest. That should mean fights every month though.

Unfortunately we will lose the mainstream fans because they won't pay.

Setanta will pay though. They gave Hatton $4mil for one fight. Warren is saying outside of the heavies he has dealt with he is giving Calzaghe and Kessler the biggest purse ever, thus he needs solid cash.

12. BigEars

BigEars Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 30, 2006
    and normality is restored..............us in Ireland have to pay more than those in the UK for the same product , still it was nice having the opposite even just on one thing for a while .

13. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
  14. nulty

nulty Guest

Ten pound a month is cool, especially when the footie starts. Given that you can get it through a freeview box as well. I wonder what Frank thinks about sharing a channel with sports academy though? Hopefully that will start a rivalary to make the best bills and should also make cross stable fights easier to work out.

15. GazOC

GazOC Guest Star for Team Taff Full Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I got 2 free months with the Hatton fight and I was going to cancel after that but with this news and Liverpool FC announcing their dedicated TV channel will be with Setanta I think I'll keep it.