Was Ali the greatest heavyweight of all time?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, May 3, 2018.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    This content is protected
    Came across this brilliant study because I was checking studies Tyson and Ali after I was asked the question on quora who would of given Louis a tougher fight between Mike and Ali, do you feel these are the top 3 heavies of all time?

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Tyson isn't top 3.
    He's possibly top 10.

Great aggressive short fighter but he's not a great boxer in the category of an Ali or a Louis. He's not as great as Larry Holmes, let's be honest.

3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Louis and Ali are top 2 in whatever order you prefer.

Tyson might have been the third member of the club, if his head had been screwed on, but unfortunately it wasn't.

Tyson is somewhere in the top ten, and you can argue any place from 3-10.

4. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    This content is protected
    Looked like a top 10 fighter is this study!

5. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Tyson was a spectacular performer when he was on top. He didn't show enough in those other situations to warrant being alongside Ali and Louis. It's one thing to look great when your fighting Willie Falldown..and Kenny Getup.

When the division started heating up in the early 90's Tyson was no longer interested in boxing.

hdog likes this.
  6. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Something along the lines of this.

escudo and Sting like a bean like this.
  7. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Ali would have a better chance at beating Louis.
    He had more tools.

If Tyson has problems imposing his narrow will on Louis, there is no plan B.
    Tyson never beat a real legend except for Larry Holmes.
    Ali beat Foreman, Liston, and Frazier.
    Between those performances you can see the depth of Ali's range, and his ability to improvise and win.

Although a brilliant fighter with subperb IQ, he didn't have Alis intuition.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    GordonGarner65 likes this.
  8. Grapefruit

Grapefruit Active Member Full Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Tyson would almost certainly be a tougher opponent for Louis, stylistically

9. Sting like a bean

Sting like a bean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    I doubt Tyson has much chance of beating Louis or Ali, but if he can catch Louis like Baer or Galento did, he may be able to finish him.
    However with Ali, he pretty much has to knock him out early, and his chances of doing that to '67 Ali are about the same as him juggling three running chainsaws without loosing any blood.

reznick and mcvey like this.
  10. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Louis for me is #1 he lost only when young & then old. Louis fought everyone & was always improved in the rematch, fought all sizes,styles & shades & was the sole Champion. Ali fought everyone as well, the Frazier & Norton fights win lose hellish fights for him but both men lost to Foreman who Ali gameplaned and KO'd also there was Liston, which were excellent wins (how good was Liston?) (How beatable was Foreman) there were a few questionable wins on Ali's resume that may have changed the course of his career but they did not.

1 & 2 however you prefer (Head to Head) I think Louis had the tools but who knows

11. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Ali is probably the consensus "when all things are considered" #1 heavyweight. That's not to say that he was unbeatable nor that a non-top-10 HW would not be able to beat him. But he was consistent for a very long time and beat some big, big names. You could make arguments for a few others, I guess.

PS - Tyson isn't top 10, imho. H2H, you could make that argument, but not on resume.

12. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    I´m absolutely not convinced Tyson could have reigned long. For me, he looked more like a product of concentrated intensity with expiry date.

Knights107, hdog and Birmingham like this.
  13. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    I would have backed Tyson to beat both Ali and Louis in the ring. Lewis too would have won against them and maybe even the 2 Klitschko bros and Holmes but it’s permanently ingrained in heavyweight folklore that Ali and Louis must be ranked the 2 greatest heavyweights in whatever order,for all of eternity no matter what! No one will ever be ranked higher than them, now or in the future.

14. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Not until someone comes along who deserves it. Those guys are at the very top for a reason. It' a hard club to get in. Look at their accomplishments.Lewis was a great fighter but not quite there. Head to head he is a nightmare for almost anybody.

15. Sting like a bean

Sting like a bean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Apr 9, 2017
    You prefer to be the pitcher and the batter at the same time, don't you?

SHADAPBLAD likes this.