Was Gary Mason ever floored?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by William Walker, Nov 30, 2020.

1. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    I confess I have not watched him exhaustively, but I've seen the Lewis bout and all of his other big name fights, and don't know that he was ever floored. Any contributions?

2. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    I watched a lot of Mason growing up and personally dont recall seeing him hit the deck

Someone here will know better than me though

William Walker likes this.
  3. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
  4. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    He never hit the deck in his career.

His career was finished by the detached retina. Had it not been for that injury I am certain he was good enough to capture a version of world title, especially at that time period. There were some horrendous champions during the mid 1990s at HW.

Michael Bentt and Herbie Hide were WBO world champions in 1993 and 1994 for example.

Bulldog24 likes this.
  5. SnoopyboyM

SnoopyboyM Active Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2010
    A very underrated fighter

Furey and moog like this.
  6. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    He demolished world class talents Ratliff, Tillis and Biggs as destructively as Tyson did. Duff kept him well clear of Bruno for a reason.

7. Felix Sanchez

Felix Sanchez Active Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2006
    What is considered his best performance, he is slightly before my time.

8. KermitTheFrog

KermitTheFrog The people doing the banning are idiots Full Member

Sep 5, 2012
    My dad got to know him a little when he opened a jewellers called Punch and Jewellery in the same town he worked in. By all accounts he was a decent guy.

9. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    That sounds like something off of The Mighty Boosh!

10. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    He was a really lovely man. Had the biggest head I’ve ever seen, like proper huge and natural strength almost like a strong man. Strange how stablemates Mason, Bruno & Horace Notice all had to retire due to detached retinas.

11. Special one

Special one Active Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2019
    I'm pretty sure Phil Mitchell or minty sparked him in the queen Vic no!? Lol just kidding, never watched any of his fights before but will check some out!

12. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    No but he deffo wudda gone down ( from shock) if he saw how easily Dubois went down dudder nightl

13. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Gary Masons story is tragic.

In a very strong era of the very late 80s and very early 90s he was a 30 odd and 0 contender just off the radar in america...due to being under frank bruno"s shadow...but mason was a,mainstream sports star in the uk with lots of tv appearences on things like Wogan and the bbc....no doubt he couldve flattened the herbie hide"s,bruce seldons to win a title.....styles make fights and i wouldve taken him to beat mccall even though lewis beat him easily.

His punditry career was ended just as tragically early as his fighting career. He was a superb pundit ,articulate,well spoken and honest.

Gary had a lot of friends in the press and celebrity circles...as much as ten years after his career ended the Sunday times,magazine wrote a lengthy piece about him.

A girlfriend of mine in the mid 2000s had a father who did acupuncture on Gary and by all accounts he was a lovely kind man

haileris likes this.
  14. Momus

Momus Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    He was class as a pundit. Very insightful, and wasn't afraid of going against the grain or making a big call. Prime example was his commentary on the Douglas-Holyfield fight, where he announced "Douglas has lost it" in the first 30 seconds. In hindsight it may have been obvious, but credit for spotting something wasn't right, and then putting it out there when he could have just followed the action and claimed wisdom after the event.

I vaguely recall he got the boot from Sky when he was caught swearing on camera? Seems rather tame compared to what others have got away with.

Jamal Perkins and haileris like this.
  15. KermitTheFrog

KermitTheFrog The people doing the banning are idiots Full Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Even more so when I tell you that my dad also got to know Rod Hull around the same time as he would come into my dads shop and buy typewriter ribbons!