WAS George Foreman Greater than Larry Holmes?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by RulesMakeItInteresting, May 18, 2019.

1. Bah Lance

Bah Lance Active Member banned Full Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Holmes had the greater career, beat far more quality fighters.
    Foreman in contrast has the greater single wins.

It's a close call and I can see an argument either way. Shame they never settled it in the ring as young or older men. I have feeling Holmes would have beat him in the 70s or 90s.

Sangria and choklab like this.
  2. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Can't see that.

Not even in a dream.

3. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    Pre-zaire Foreman would run Larry over. Favor Holmes over any other version.

4. kolchak65

kolchak65 New Member Full Member

Jan 13, 2014
  5. Balder

Balder Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Without a doubt.

Foreman came back and became the oldest man to ever take the title. That in itself is legendary. He not only did that, he was absolutely feared by everyone he faced for legitimate reasons. The man may have been the hardest puncher in heavyweight history. Boxers from both eras he competed in said he was the strongest and best puncher they ever faced.

He did something no one else has done, he is renowned for his power. These things will always overshadow Holmes. As time goes on people will remember George Foreman. Holmes will drift off in peoples mind and be forgotten.

The reason is because Foreman is a Legend. Not just a boxer.

6. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Holmes is greater than Foreman. Depends on your criteria but 20 defenses and 7 years on top and being one win shy of tying Marciano is far more telling than Foreman's 3 great wins over Frazier, Norton(?) and Moorer.

If the subject is: Who's more popular? - then I'd pick Foreman. Holmes was champ for 7 friggin years. We're talking whole careers, Holmes takes the cake. Foreman doesn't have that many Top 10 rated guys on his resume. I believe he went 7-5 against rated opposition. Holmes has some easy defenses on his resume but he stepped up and beat those put in front of him...for 7 years.

Louis
    Ali
    Holmes
    Johnson
    Marciano
    Tyson
    Lewis
    Foreman
    Dempsey
    Frazier
    Holyfield
    Liston
    Wlad

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  7. Bah Lance

Bah Lance Active Member banned Full Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Foreman lost to lesser fighters in a declined Ali and Young in the 70s.

Foremans only hope is an early KO, hes not out pointing Holmes or stopping him late. Holmes actually has better odds of a late stoppage. And I dont see anyone blitzing out a young Holmes.

8. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Foreman has a punchers chance for sure.

However, there probably is a reason why Foreman did not want to comeback until Larry lost the title.

9. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    There will always be that stigma, just as Tyson studiously avoided Foreman (even though he would have made a huge amount of money fighting him).

10. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    I think Foreman avoided Larry a whole lot more.

Foreman was never in a serious position to challenge Tyson until after he beat Cooney. It was not until That fight that anyone realised George could be for real. His comeback was seen as a joke roadshow until then yet within a month Tyson was an ex champion. So he was never in contention.

Even if Foreman’s target really was Tyson, As an ex champion Mikes target was regaining the title. - not Foreman.

They both fought on the same card when Tyson came back against Henry Tillman. I think George Fought Allison Rodriguez. This gave George a #10 rating.

In quick succession however, ex champion Tyson fought Alex Stewart and #3 rated Ruddock. I cannot understand why Tyson would chose Ruddock as an opponent if he was scared of George? These three fights put Tyson as #1 contender. George was still only #10.

When is the #10 rated opponent harder to beat than the #3 guy?

Even so George leapfrogged Tyson And #3 Ruddock to get a shot at Holyfield. The new champion.

And then Tyson went to prison.

By the time Tyson got out of prison George was an inactive linear champion. If George still wanted Tyson he was the man calling the shots and still did not fight him.

As soon as Tyson started winning he was rated above George anyway-despite him being linear champion.

Interestingly 1995 Was an unusual year. In The Ring Magazine ratings The official champions Seldon, Bruno And Foreman were rated number six, number seven and number eight in their top ten behind Bowe, Tyson, Lewis, Moorer And Holyfield.

11. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    George was BIG money. The general public see Ruddock, Stewart...blah. Mike stood to gain far more fighting George, I'm sure you thought of that.

He also had a lot to lose getting knocked out by a 40 + man. Mike was even more George-friendly than Joe Frazier, because Mike came in even faster. Foreman would have just parried and muscled Mike until he caught him. That's why George predicted two rounds at the latest. In my eyes, Mike wouldn't have even lasted a round, unless he totally changed his style, the style he showed little variation from for his entire career. And please understand, I've gained a lot of respect and regard toward Mike as a fighter since I've been here, he's unquestionably one of the greats imo (just not Louis/Ali/Holmes/Lewis/Holyfield great).

Mike has been quite complementary toward George as a fighter; the man gained some class and talks that generous way about a lot of fighters now. But insiders (some whom seem reliable to me) have told stories of Mike "not going to fight that animal and that's THAT!"

Mike has said in interviews that the world worships money, which may be true (it certainly tells us where he's coming from). Thus of course he ducked Foreman. There wasn't a fight out there that would have matched the cash he'd make fighting BG...I'm positive you know that.

12. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    That said @choklab I think you're right about George avoiding Larry. Larry got it right when he said his style was too similar to Ali's...even though that's kind of a weird thing to say, since Larry never really made the dancing or goofing thing an integral part of his style (just the former early on). He had fast hands like Ali's and often had excellent footwork...but not as fast from either end as Ali. Larry just had a heavier (quite a bit heavier) left jab and overall probably punched a little harder.

In the 90s Larry would barely have danced at all, he probably would have just used his later-career patient stalking and thunder jab to keep George off, and launched the overhand whenever he got a chance. Unanimous decision.

Ali-era Larry would have stopped Norton-era George within twelve rounds, max...but either way, George couldn't have kept from eating that jab again and again. He just got hit way too often, both in the day and the 90s. Of course, Larry got easier to hit as time went on, so that's something to consider. It's just...after watching the Mercer fight I could see just how good Larry was at rolling, parrying, smothering shots, he was an expert at that!

To be completely honest, I doubt the 90s fight would have been particularly exciting, anyway...Larry would have been even more patient than he's known for (and oy VEY is he known for that! lol), clinching and bringing George to the turnbuckle whenever the former started launching.
    Good luck inside, George.

Keep in mind, both Larry and George are top 4 fighters for me. Love them.

Just my opinion.

13. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Pretty much exactly as I see it. Foreman for me.

14. RulesMakeItInteresting

Mar 23, 2019
    Torn between two lovers, feelin' like a fool...lovin' you is breakin' all the rules, boo.

15. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Do you have any more tall tales similar to.... Foreman getting bossed around the ring by Ali and Young? I'm in need of a good laugh.