Was Holyfield really a religious nut? Or was he just playing the media all along?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Oakland Billy Smith, Apr 19, 2019.

1. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I never paid much attention to that stuff. That is someone's personal business and life wherever they are coming from. Even Hearns after he beat Virgil Hill said "god was in my corner tonight". I don't think God is going to help someone win a boxing match when there are people starving in the world or dying of cancer without much hope at all. I hope not anyway.

2. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    How often does he go to church and practice the principles of Catholicism? I don't know. I'd guess he respected god but used the religion to make amends for his behavior at his convenience. My guess is it was partly an act, though not exclusively an act.

3. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Whoooooaaaaa there big fella!!! Holyfield is not a Catholic. Baptist he be or Pentacostal

4. gerryb

gerryb Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    i find it hard to say hes a true christian though,hes attempting to beat peoples brains in. Dude was a fornicator/adulterer too,my understanding of the bible is that God despises sexual sins the most.

5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Yes, Jesus said "turned the other cheek" .... but then people ignore the fact that JESUS HAD A GRANITE CHIN ....... . a better chin than Holyfield even !

And they say about Jesus : "you have to nail him to a cross to beat him" ..... but that didn't work either !

Happy Easter !

6. West of Hollywood

West of Hollywood Active Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2018
    He believed what he believed but you can argue his spiritual beliefs were a little skewed and self-serving. I wouldn't consider him one of the great theologians.

7. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Beautiful! A Happy and Blessed Easter to you too brother. From me. A Catholic.

8. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    He was/is religious but flawed.

Big whoop because everyone is flawed to an extent.

He liked women and clearly they liked him too. He also was wasteful with money but plenty of other fighters from impoverished backgrounds were too.

He also hasn't beaten people up outside the ring, raped anyone, bashed his wife/partner, embezzled, stolen or murdered anyone. It puts him in front of a lot of other celebrated fighters.

9. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    I mean...this is a pretty blithe trivialization/dismissal of his refusal to simply wrap his meat, even after having knocked up several of these women and left children beyond numbering without a stable nuclear two-parent household. After the second or third one at the most, it just becomes an incredibly selfish and toxic pattern of behavior, no two ways around it. You can't be that much of a horndog but that opposed to birth control (even on religious grounds) - at some point you have to decide which master you're serving, can't have it both ways.

Thread Stealer and Sangria like this.
  10. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Why is everyone having a go at Holyfield for having so many kids? He don't have anymore than the likes of Ali, Frazier or foreman and they are always held up as men of great morals and character outside the ring.

young griffo likes this.
  11. TheWorstEver(TWE)

TheWorstEver(TWE) Active Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2018
    I'm pretty sure he's genuine with his faith, he's just a flawed human being like the rest of us. One interesting thing I noticed though was it seemed to totally spook Tyson.

12. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Did he leave these women he impregnated without means of financial support? No because part of the reason he wasted his great fortune he earned is because he has to pay umpteen amounts of child maintenance.
    Stable two parent nuclear household? Plenty of those are toxic, loveless and destabilising to children due to the incompatibility of the two parents as a couple.
    We also don’t know what sort of relationship Evander has with his multitude of children. For all we know he may dote in every single one of them irregardless of the circumstances surrounding their conception.

Holyfield’s philandering and avoidance of contraception may make him indeed selfish and irresponsible but it doesn’t mean his religious stance is fake nor does it make him a bad person. Flawed for sure but not bad.

13. timmers612

timmers612 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Good points of course. The man of deepest conviction still struggles and often comes out on the bottom, Ghandi for instance led a nation, denied himself of any kind of comfort to address those hurting but still was a failure to his children, not parenting or being a help to them at all. Maybe Evander is in the struggling part also.

young griffo likes this.
  14. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Try to question a guys faith and religious beliefs = 2 pages and front page after 2 days

Try to have a boxing conversation outside of HW = 2 replies and page 2 after a few hours

Sometimes I wonder why I love this forum...oh well

15. steve1990

steve1990 Active Member Full Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Ali,Frazier and Foremans children were in all in born into marriage.