Was Jack Dempsey racist?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Hydraulix, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    You have to be very careful judging someone's ethical and moral character from across a 100 year gap of social and intellectual development. Those were different times in temperment. Even ol' Abe Lincoln might sound like a cromag to our "enlightened" ears with his private opinions of the world, its creator and His creations. The same might be said of us, when 100 years from now, they should happen upon our words.

That said, judging by his autobiography, he was fairly socially sophisticated, at least by the time he wrote it in the 1950's. Also, Bill Tate was an acknowledged friend whom he stood up for on more than one occasion for stay in a hotel or seating at a restaurant. Those may sound like trivial events, but remember what Rose Parks did with a bus seat.

In regards to his ring career, he wanted nothing to do with Langford during his own ascendency not because Langford was black but because he was poison to Dempsey. Jack liked them big and lumbering not small and fast (and possessed of brutal power). As far as the Wills fight, Jack signed for it and talked openly about it. And frankly Wills seems tailor made for Jack, so I don't buy he was ducking him.

2. SteveO

SteveO MSW Full Member

Feb 4, 2007
    As I recall, when the Rock beat Walcott he said something like "Joe Walcott is a great champion, and I hope I can be as good as him."

I know I got it wrong; he said it right after the fight. The Rock was almost always gracious about his opponents.

3. BlackWater

BlackWater G.Wash. Full Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Jack was friends with and sparred with several black fighters. I don't think he was racist. Just his promoter.

4. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    No I think this was Jack Johnson :lol:

5. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2005
    No they weren't. Many were but many weren't. Especially in boxing, where it's hard not to respect someone who has competed effectively and bravely against you.

6. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005

This one of sport's greatest potentials, on all levels, junior, amateur... The story of Jesse Owens and German long jumper Lutz Long in the 36 Olympics comes to mind. Owens was in danger of fouling out of the competition and Long suggested he change the number of approach strides just to get to the finals. Owens did and made history. This is what sport can be at its best.

7. Joe E

Joe E Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2007
    I did read once were Dempsey was quoted as saying that Louis losing to Schmeling was the best thing to happen to boxing. I don't know why he said it.

8. SteveO

SteveO MSW Full Member

Feb 4, 2007
    I don't think so.

I'm pretty sure Jack approached Joe about the flaw that Max exploited, and Joe distanced himself from Jack because of his reputation.

Word has it that Johnson bet heavily against Louis, but never said that Schmeling winning was the greatest thing. Pretty sure Dempsey did say it, though.

9. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I was joking I think Johnson was a little happy to see the young Louis fail and I believe he did give Schmelling tips on how to beat Louis too. Not sure about Dempsey

10. SteveO

SteveO MSW Full Member

Feb 4, 2007
    :oops:

Forgive me for not picking up on that.

11. prideofvbeach

prideofvbeach Top 10 Pound-For-Pound Full Member

Sep 26, 2007
    He was proud of Max beating the black guy. Didn't hurt that Max actually looked just like Dempsey.

12. prideofvbeach

prideofvbeach Top 10 Pound-For-Pound Full Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Johnson was pissed at Louis for not giving him a job assisting in his training. He gloated, more for his ego than anything else.

13. Vantage_West

Vantage_West ヒップホップ·プロデューサー Full Member

Jul 11, 2006
    well max and jack were pictured together and were fairly close...they had a proffesional but still good friendly relationship.
    i believe it was becuase media kept lumping them together due to there resembelance

joe to jack and jack to joe wasnt really anything.

14. Arka

Arka New Member Full Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I was browsing a book about the Schmeling-Louis fight.I think it was this one:
    This content is protected

Dempsey was quoted in the press speaking disparagingly about Louis' ability ,early in his career, and referring to him as a 'n$gger'.In the context of the time I would say that was rather mild TBH.I don't think Jack,himself,was a hardcore racist,but he was certainly no progressive.

15. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    It depends partly on your own personal definition and standard of what a "racist" is.
    And even then i'd say you can know someone for a while without really knowing whether they are racist or not.

Dempsey might have had black friends but that doesn't prove he was not racist.

Most people have some inconsistent beliefs. And racist and sexist beliefs are kind of hard to justify, but still widespread. In those days it was all ****ed up.