Was James Toney MORE talented than Floyd Mayweather?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by bluebird, Jan 18, 2019.

1. divac

divac VIP Member Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Talent and skillwise they're comparable and its possible Toney may have even been a little better.
    The big difference thought is obvious, Mayweather was really disciplined in getting himself in shape, where as Toney was lazy and
    left it to relying on his pure talent and skill.

2. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Qawi and Duran are both good mentions in this thread as natural fighters. Qawi like James Toney had a very short amauter career yet within a few years as a pro both were fighting at a world class level. Qawi was a naturally strong guy who could slip and counter all day and could fight in any era. Like Toney, he had issues outside of the ring that caused him to not reach his full potential.

RacingBeat and OvidsExile like this.
  3. Grinder

Grinder Dude, don't call me Dude Full Member

Mar 24, 2005
    What is talent? Natural aptitude or skill.

Floyd grew up in a famed boxing family and was pushed from a young age. I think he pretty much maximised his talent in terms of what he achieved.

Toney on he other hand prioritised Burger King over his boxing career. Therefore I believe Toney did less than he could have with his talent while Floyd maximised his.

Comparing the two, you have Floyd who is unbeaten but who clearly took the path of least resistance above 140. Then you have Toney with a few losses but who fought all comers. Toney's loss to RJJ shows up some flaws but he also fought Mike McCallum, the type of fighter Floyd would never ever fight due to risk.

In terms of the things that are harder / impossible to train such as chin and power I believe that Toney was more naturally gifted.

On summary, Floyd did everything right from training, matchmaking and even ensuring his fights were fought on his terms to ensure he had a perfect record. A lot of his wins were extremely close, boring and in a more objective world would have been losses. Toney on the other hand cut corners but fought a who's who of dangerous fighters, coming home with the win in spectacular fashion on many occasions. He took some losses, particularly as he started taking the shape of the Michelin man and moved into HW, but his demolition of Evander Holyfield at HW clinches it for me. They were both old and past it and it was the natural gifts that enabled Toney to counter Evander to such an extent that he stopped an atg with a granite chin.

4. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Well said. I'm glad you mentioned Mike McCallum. There are plenty of all time greats that would not go near the body snatcher let alone fight him three times like Toney did.

RacingBeat likes this.
  5. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    I don't think so. Toney was without a doubt one of the most talented fighters you'll ever see many other fighters who cut corners like he did in the gym would of never achieved half of what he did. But much of his success wasn't down to raw natural talent, it was his exemplary technique and skills which he honed over countless rounds of sparring which was his preferred way of preparing for a fight.

But Mayweather too was an exceptional talent. Even if you take away his technique, he was a very athletic fighter with some of the fastest hands you'll ever see. I don't think Toney in a P4P sense was as fast as Mayweather.

6. dangerousity

dangerousity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2005
    What does this have to do with what I just said?

Hardwork is a talent, just as is speed, power etc. All the speed in the world won’t mean **** if you don’t work hard. All the hard work in the world won’t mean **** if u have a super glass chin. See how that works?

The ability to train very hard is a form of talent just as is speed, atheleticsm, power etc.

7. yeyo monster

yeyo monster Boxing Addict Full Member

May 4, 2012
    Toney started using roids at HW!! Thats a fact so stfu

8. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Toney was very talented but certainly not more talented than Floyd. Also Floyd was the better athlete, more dedicated etc. that is mot to say anything negative about Toney just how talented Floyd. shoulder roll perfected by old school trainers in Michigan.

9. FAT_TONEY

FAT_TONEY Active Member Full Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Both were about equally skilled, but Toney was the more talented fighter in that he has a short amateur career and learned his great skills „on the job“. He was far more natural than Floyd. Toney was „born to box/fight“. Floyd had a boxing family an the US amateur boxing machinery behind him to learn his trade from a young age. Floyd was a bit more athletically gifted though.
    As far as skills go, they differ in that Floyd has better footwork, but Toneys transition from defense to offense and back was a lot more fluid - he really was a master at that, top 5 all time.

10. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
  11. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Toney used to spar instead of doing road work and that accelerated his decline.

Masterful boxer though and he sliced through the divisions like a hot knife through butter.

12. Dario Argento

Dario Argento The exotic Waitress banned Full Member

Nov 4, 2018
    He has always used roids, except he was caught at heavyweight. Sorry buddy. Once a cheater always a cheater

13. RacingBeat

RacingBeat Casual lives matter Full Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Mine as well, born fighter that man is. In an alternate world I dream of him in peak condition and dedicated coming into that Roy Jones fight

14. yeyo monster

yeyo monster Boxing Addict Full Member

May 4, 2012
    Nope!!!!

15. Curtis Lowe

Curtis Lowe Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Movement and foot speed by Floyd is the main,but not only thing, that separates Floyd from Mumbles.