Was Joshua vs Klitschko that big? How does it compare to Thrilla in Manilla or Rumble in the Jungle

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by royjonesfan, Jan 14, 2020.

1. LANCE99

LANCE99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Wk v AJ didn't have the international ramifications and popularity those two fights had. They were big events and had meaning,. WD v AJ was just a good HW fight.

KidGalahad, northpaw and iii like this.
  2. Mirko

Mirko Member Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I wouldnt agree. There were alot of people who said AJ was too green and that he was getting knocked out. It was a 50/50 fight in the eyes of most people.

And it was a modern classic. I loved it. Now, Rumble in the jungle is a bigger worldwide event.

3. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    AJ vs Wlad was the biggest HW fight since Lewis vs Tyson.

4. On The Money

On The Money Dangerous Journeyman Full Member

Apr 4, 2012
    biggest uk hw fight ever.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  5. blackfella96

blackfella96 Active Member Full Member

Jul 10, 2019
    AJ was younger and Wlad was coming off a loss, was a big fight for the era but in the bigger picture, doesn't even get a mention.

6. bruce_keyes

bruce_keyes Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 9, 2008
    it definitely compares, in terms of drama, excitement, hype etc... very suspenseful nerve wracking fight. Sold Out Wembley stadium, the whole country was watching... doesn't get any bigger than that... I just hate when people look at old school fights thru rose-colored glasses, romanticising them, making them more mythical than they really are! lets wait 20-30 years then look back at them, thats the only fair way to compare them.

7. Manfred

Manfred Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 22, 2011
    It's not even in the ball park.

8. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    No need to wait 20-30 years for anything. People who don't even follow boxing know who Ali and foreman are still to this day. You can't say the same about wlad and aj and you never will

KidGalahad and northpaw like this.
  9. bruce_keyes

bruce_keyes Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Everyone knows who Klitschko is in europe. EVERYONE. AJ is still young, give it some time... everyone knows him in his home country thats for sure...

10. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    I was born in 1978, 3 years after the Thrilla in Manilla. I can literally tell you everything single thing that led up to the fight, outside the ring buildup, and can go into depth regarding the fight itself. People that have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever of boxing know the mythology of this event........not fight..........event. Because that what it was, it was more than just a match. There isn't an attempt to make this more mythical than it really was. Time has literally proven that Ali vs. Foreman was larger than life.

The gauge will be if someone that was born this year (2020) will be able to tell you about the "event" Joshua vs. Wlad in 2051. Will people who have no boxing knowledge know about the "legendary" Joshua vs. Wlad matchup in 2051. Will they care?

In contemporary times, Joshua/Wlad was a very good fight. It was a great fight. But that's it, no one is gonna remember it. No one other than boxing fans even talk about Joshua vs. Wlad 3 years later let alone 44 years.

What's hilarious is that in 2051, people are still going to be talking about the Thrilla..........

KidGalahad and royjonesfan like this.
  11. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    What I can tell you beyond dispute Northpaw is that the Thrilla in Manilla was in 1975 and was between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier. The fight you're referring to was the Rumble in the Jungle.

northpaw likes this.
  12. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    I'm at work and multitasking so I didn't proofread. I meant for Thrilla in Manilla and Rumble in the Jungle to be hyphenated as my point was concerning both. Thank you for catching that :facepalm:

13. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Ha Ha ! Sorry to be the pedant pal.

northpaw likes this.
  14. nickpoppunk

nickpoppunk Unbelievable Bentekkers Full Member

Feb 14, 2012
    for modern times yes.
    its about the context sometimes and the external effects of the sport.

back then boxing was prime, prime time on tv around the globe. free to everyone that 'could' watch.
    the lives of many people have changed now.

the magnitude for both fighters careers was huge.

popularity probably not but thats probably external factors.

15. chico g

chico g What are you staring at Mr Trump?! hahaha! Full Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Dunno but I really did enjoy the bodybuilder getting dropped by geriatric Wlad, in front of his hooligan fans!