Was Kambosos-Lopez the second-best Lightweight Title fight this century?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Dubblechin, Nov 28, 2021.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Right you are there; it was considered his second defense of the Ring Mag title.

StiffJab and KO KIDD like this.
  2. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    I don't think Marquez-Diaz or any Katsidis title fights were better than what we saw Saturday. Certainly not Lineras-Mitchell.

Floyd Mayweather-Emanuel Augustus wasn't even a lightweight title fight. I have no memory of that even being all that good of a fight. Just Mayweather sticking it to HBO when they wouldn't offer him the deal he wanted to re-sign.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  3. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 banned Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I didn't really enjoy the fight

Probably because of the low resolution footage I was watching. Just one big blur.

4. GK BOX

GK BOX Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 23, 2015
    George Karpouzis

IntentionalButt likes this.
  5. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Mayweather-Agustus was at 130, which is jr lightweight. Not sure it fits the criteria as lightweight is 135 pounds.

OvidsExile likes this.
  6. JunlongXiFan

JunlongXiFan Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 9, 2020
    Honestly purely in terms of fight quality I'd say Fuzile vs Ogawa was a better fight. Zhang vs Lewis was good, the next figh was okay, Fuzile vs Ogawa was amazing, and Lopez vs Kambosos was great. Overall a very good card in terms of quality from Matchroom.

7. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    It certainly wasn't one of the greatest lightweight title fights of this century. It wasn't even a lightweight title fight.

8. drenlou

Jan 22, 2015
    It was a good fight, just not a fight that took place at 135 pounds.

9. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    I think it was an over-the-weight fight. Mayweather hadn't won a lightweight title yet. He was a super featherweight champ. It was a lackluster stoppage win by Floyd, who was fighting with HBO at the time because he wanted a bigger deal.

The fight Saturday night was for all the marbles at Lightweight. And both guys laid it on the line. Both had to get off the deck. It was a boxing match at times, and a war at times ... often in the same round.

Mayweather-Burton wasn't anything like that at all.

CleneloAnavarez and OvidsExile like this.
  10. drenlou

Jan 22, 2015
    Its been a long time sonce ive seen that fight, so im not sure what weight that fight was fought. Id have to look it up.

11. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    It was at lightweight, but was non title, since Mayweather was still champ at 130lbs.

Dubblechin likes this.
  12. Big Lou dog

Big Lou dog Member Full Member

Jul 3, 2021
    Had a funny feeling about this fight as soon as I heard Lopez on Buncey’s podcast saying he didn’t see himself earning ‘just hundreds of millions’ (as in he expects much more) and shortly after listening to a Kambosas interview where all he was talking about was bringing the belts back to Australia and making history. Lopez was clearly believing his own hype.

Holler and GK BOX like this.
  13. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    It was back when Floyd wanted the same deal HBO gave to Hamed. And HBO didn't think Floyd had as much potential and stuck him on their Saturday afternoon show KO Nation against an ESPN journeyman basically to screw with him and send the message 'take the offer or you'll be back on ESPN making chump change.'

So he took the offer.

Then Hamed lost to Barrera and Mayweather became the richest boxer in history when he walked away from HBO at the end of that contract.

OvidsExile and KO KIDD like this.
  14. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Here are a list of some of the other acclaimed lightweight championship tilts

Soto-Antillon
    Rios-Acosta
    Dorin-Balbi 1
    Marquez-Diaz
    Marquez-Katsidis
    Easter Jr.-Commey
    Crawford-Gamboa
    Katsidis-Earl
    Casamayor-Katsidis
    Hatekayama-Sakemoto
    Linares-Mitchell

Think I prefer Kambosos-Lopez to most of these.

OvidsExile likes this.
  15. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    We have extremely different opinions of the last night's fight then, because I didn't think it was anything special. Linares vs Mitchell is a far more captivating fight IMO, and Marquez-Diaz I was one of the best fighters ever IMO. Lopez-Kambosos isn't.