Was Leonard`s comeback in `87 the greatest in boxing history?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Apr 15, 2019.

1. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    As mentioned by others Foreman's comeback was remarkable. Another one to me would be Vinny Paz coming back from a broken neck or James Braddock winning the heavyweight belt after years of decline.

Flash24 and roughdiamond like this.
  2. Ken Ashcroft

Ken Ashcroft Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 23, 2008
    That’s your opinion and that’s fine.

We all have our own opinions. On this particular subject, mine just happens to be right and your’s wrong. :razz:

mcvey, The Morlocks and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  3. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    ;)

4. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Foreman winning against Moorer is not a great win. Moorer is not a great fighter and he had a weak chin in a weight he moved up in. And Foreman losing to Evander and Morrison before that?

mark ant likes this.
  5. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017

6. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    No the greatest comeback in boxing history was by Eugene Criqui. While serving in the French military during WW 1 on guard duty at Verdan , his jaw was shattered by a sniper bullet and because surgery was in its infancy his jaw was reconstructed using wire , silver , plastic and goat leg. After the war he resumed boxing and in 1923 he became FW World Champ by beating Johnny Kilbane.

mcvey, mark ant and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  7. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    How old was Foreman when he won the title? How long was his layoff prior to returning to a boxing ring? Did Michael Moorer have a portion of The Heavyweight championship? How many 45 yr old fighters have won a championship in ANYTHING. The Holyfield loss was more of Holyfield's greatness as opposed to a knock on Foreman. Morrison, could've just been an off night. Many fighters have had them. Foreman's consistency speaks for itself over a very long career. I never claimed Moorer was a great fighter, but he was good enough to win a version of a Heavyweight title. How many Heavyweights over the last 120 yrs can say as much?

8. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    What does that matter? Is there some sort of equation which says if a guy is older if he wins a title that means more because he is older, even thought he beat a weak chinned guy who moved up from light heavyweight who was not a great champion? 45 year old at heavyweight is not that impressive, especially for George who was all about power and strength and who got even bigger in that long layoff. They fight at a slow pace anyway. It is an overrated division compared to most. Off night? No he lost to Evander and Morrison. It was not that great a performance. George was strong and Moorer was a small heavyweight who had a weak chin who stood in front of him. What is the great accomplishment? Had George beaten Evander and Morrison in 2 and Moorer, yes that is great. This is overrating a win.. Big time.

mark ant likes this.
  9. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Foreman lost to Holy and Tommy because he was too slow and easy to hit, Holy wan`t a great fighter yet when he beat George, his defense was pretty subpar also, it was a sloppy fight.

10. Flash24

Oct 22, 2015
    Your opnion, your welcome to that, but if a 45 yr old winning the heavyweight championship against a fighter who did win the championship in the ring,( and Moorer also defeated Holyfield by the way, same Holyfield who defeated Foreman, yes I know their was a 2nd fight but he did beat Holyfield 1st) if that doesn't impress you, personally I think your being short sighted.

11. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    I knew he had power, and I think that he is tough. But impressed is different than thinking it is the greatest win or close. Not against a guy who was naturally smaller and had a weak chin. I always thought George came back to beat Tyson. And I thought he could. George did well in his comeback, but to think he went up in ranking in the pound for pound ranking? No.. Moorer also lost to Holyfield and to Tua.

12. Flash24

Oct 22, 2015
    But Moorer also defeated Holyfield. As I said before I'm not saying Moorer was a great heavyweight (No he wasn't) But Foreman did TAKE the title from him at 45 yrs of age, if that's not an impressive comeback and return to the boxing years, damn near a quarter century after his 1st championship victory I don't no what is. I don't understand you not giving him credit for the victory. But in hind site you don't give Duran credit for defeating Leonard in Montreal, so maybe theirs a pattern their.

13. walker smith

walker smith New Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2018

14. walker smith

walker smith New Member Full Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Michael Moorer was an awkward southpaw with deceiving power still gets little respect...hell he beat a prime Holyfield

15. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007