Was Leonard`s comeback in `87 the greatest in boxing history?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Apr 15, 2019.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    After the mental issues he endured its certainly note worthy.
    Vitali Klitschko's comeback was pretty good too.

2. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    I think Leonard's "comeback" was more opportunistic than impressive. He was coming off a three-year voluntary, self-imposed layoff so he could make a lot of money. Not like Ali when his layoff was dictated by circumstances beyond his control. Or like Foreman who was inactive for an entire generation. Not even close.

WoodCy and surfinghb like this.
  3. Vince Voltage

Vince Voltage Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Not even close. Ray used dubious, flashy tactics, with little substance, and in the minds of many, lost to Hagler. It wasn't even really a comeback, just a spectacle. Foreman's comeback was hard-earned, happened at an advanced age, and is therefore the best.

WoodCy and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  4. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Holy was really poor v Moorer though.

5. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    I agree but Ray fought much better v Hagler than Foreman did v Moorer and Hagler was still p4p better than Moorer was when he met Foreman, Moorer never reached Hagler`s level P4P even when he had slowed down by `87.

6. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Holy fought far better in the rematch and Moorer was easy to hit.

7. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Hagler was not unbeaten when he fought Ray, he had lost twice before their clash.

8. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    The pattern is I don't give credit just because someone beat someone. There are circumstances involved. Leonard being not equipped to handle and insult and fighting Duran's fight, and Moorer's chin. I don't think Duran's win is too surprising if Ray fought him that way, and Foreman stopped a smaller guy who didn't take a great punch. And Foreman lost to Morrison by being outboxed.

9. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    Wasn't Holyfield diagnosed with a heart issue after that fight. The thing is Holyfield is a great fighter, but head to head he was smaller and guys like Moorer could beat Evander but not bigger guys. Awkward and southpaw always go together, but he stood in front of Foreman and was hit. You don't stand in front of guys like Foreman or Hearns. It does not work.

10. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Yes, Holy waas completely listless v Moorer.

11. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    I don’t think Tigers comeback is greater then Foreman’s...not even close imo it’s just people’s memories are short. I’ll never forget Foremans comeback was real special.

KasimirKid likes this.
  12. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    there were some fights which I knew fighters had a chance. With a guy who hits like Foreman, 3 chances at the title one of them will succeed.. And Michael Moorer just didn't have that chin. I was surprised it went 10..

mark ant likes this.
  13. jowcol

jowcol Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Ray bided his time letting Hagler get closer and closer to retirement plus...they were supposed to fight 18 months earlier but Ray ducked the Hagler press conference at the time leaving Marvin (in the words of the immortal Neil Young) "alone at the microphone".

KasimirKid and mark ant like this.
  14. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    But it can be said your making excuses for the loser..... Its a very slippery slope to be on.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  15. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    How can you say that when Foreman KOd Moorer?

How much better can you get? Decapitation?