Was Liston Totally Finished, After Ali 2.?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Jun 21, 2022.

1. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Maybe you can get him to explain to me how the mob makes money on fighters they keep on the shelf by fighting for low purses in backwaters off tv... You must be a brilliant business man.

Bokaj likes this.
  2. Holmes77

Holmes77 Member banned Full Member

May 28, 2022
    Not explaining nothing to you. Have a good day

3. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    I didnt think so.

4. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    He would have squashed Ellis. Quarry would have been interesting.

Fergy likes this.
  5. Holmes77

Holmes77 Member banned Full Member

May 28, 2022
    lol

6. BoB Box

BoB Box Member Full Member

Jun 13, 2022
    Good point. If Liston was so good before Ali and so good after Ali then doesent that help the argument that Liston threw the first fight by quiting in the corner then taking a dive in the second fight pretending to get knocked out? Interesting

7. Rope-a-Dope

Rope-a-Dope Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Still a top fighter. But after Ali, he was at best a distant second and just a long slow fade from then on.

8. billyb71

billyb71 Member banned Full Member

Jun 6, 2022
    I think the Clay fights were probably fixed.

9. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Not so sure about that. Watching Ellis trounce Martin compared to how sluggish Liston looked against the same fighter makes me think Ellis would have been too mobile and fast for the ponderous Liston of the late 1960’s.

Quarry was tough but had a tendency to cut which makes me think Liston with that great jab (which was really the only great thing he had left by that stage) could exploit that. Still Quarry was tough and Liston would in no way have an intimidation factor over the brave Jerry. A very good and interesting match up!

RulesMakeItInteresting and Fergy like this.
  10. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Now that's a discussion /argument that's been fought /chewed over, on here, for absolutely years!

11. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    I agree with your overall point, but to be fair to Liston, he faced quite a few injuries in the ring before Ali loss and he didn't back up.

12. KasimirKid

KasimirKid Active Member Full Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Amen, Klomp, you nailed it.

13. ThatOne

ThatOne Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 13, 2022
    Ali ruined him. There would no second act ala George Foreman.

Bokaj likes this.
  14. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Liston quit in the rematch against Ali. Yes when he finally got up he was fighting but he had no choice as Ali started to attack him. Why he quit no one knows but likely a combination of elements. Keep in mind he was highly inactive going into the first Ali fight, overconfident and under prepared. He was likely a few years older than reported and a heavy drinker He was still a dangerous man post Ali but it always comes down to styles and Ali was too good for that middle aged man. Post Ali who knows. Likely looking for the easiest road back to a big payday. I’ve read he very much wanted Frazier thinking Joe was made for him. He may have passed on some opportunities but what late age fighter didn’t when trying to find the easiest payday path? I certainly don’t think he was a coward. He showed plenty of guts in his career. He simply knew better than anyone that he was old and past it. Look at the terrible opposition post title Baer fought trying to get a Louis rematch. Look at the entire second career of Foreman and his cherry picked opposition. It’s common.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  15. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    He'd have still been as dangerous as post Holyfield, Tyson imo.
    Still able to knock some of the guys he faced out. Anyone not called Ali could still be at risk.

JohnThomas1 likes this.