Was Oscar Bonavena More Powerful Than The Following?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Rainer, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Rainer

Rainer Active Member Full Member

May 2, 2019
    Anthony Joshua
    Vitali Klitchko
    Lennox Lewis
    Ike Ibeabuchi
    Swagdelfadeel says so.
    What say you?

2. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Him and Ike were probably comparable in punch power

He objectively doesn't hit as hard as Lewis. Joshua and Vitali are debatable but I lean towards both simply on achievement

3. Hookandjab

Hookandjab Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Oscar was strong, but powerful is different. Who did he knockout? He decked Frazier a couple of times and Mildenberger four times, but he failed to stop either man. He couldn't even stagger an ancient Patterson. He was tough, though Ellis wallooped him good, and fun to watch, but he is overrated big time.

timmers612 and louis54 like this.
  4. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I'd put all of them over him in punching power

timmers612 likes this.
  5. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Yes he was a good puncher never a great puncher....but he beats these guys save Lewis I think

6. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    In terms of just pure power he may or may not be on Ike and Vitali's level. Ike is overrated af, his only noteworthy KO was the much smaller Chris Byrd who started as a damn middleweight in the amateurs. Vitali stoppage rate is so good because he had a good grasp on the basics, good accuracy and timing. Bonavena had none of that. Both of them tended to be arm punchers but Vitalis fundamentals and volume punching make a big difference. Id give all 3 no more than a 7.5/10 in terms of pure punching power.

Joshua id give an 8/10 very heavy clubbing shots. Lennox is a 9. Bonavena is nowhere near them in class or finishing ability.

Yes theres a difference between power and finishing ability. Bonavena was as strong as a bull but didnt have the coordination, timing, and instinct for stopping a man once he had him hurt.

7. expljose

expljose Active Member Full Member

Nov 6, 2013
    physically strong ..as far as pop .. well i'll have to study on that