Was there anyway Tyson vs Spinks could have been more competitive?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by MixedMartialLaw, Dec 23, 2021.

1. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    No,,, Spinks had a speed and quickness advantage over an aging Holmes who I thought won the second fight . Tyson's quickness and speed negated that and he was helpless. This is like Liston Patterson, no matter how many times they fought the outcome is preordained.

2. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    In my humble opinion Spinks shouldn't have been there anyway, Holmes beat him in the rematch. Of course, it only would have changed the time frame, Larry would have lost to Mike either way :(

3. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I'm wondering if Saad would out of sheer courage and heart...

Clinton and swagdelfadeel like this.
  4. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    By 1988 Spinks was too plagued with injuries, was inactive, and no longer had any hunger to fight anymore, so Spinks did the best he could at the time, which was to show up for a monster payday and get steamrolled.

A healthier, younger, and active Spinks from 2-3 years before likely would’ve put up a much better fight.

Turnip mk3 likes this.
  5. Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher Lineal Champion Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like many have already said here. Spinks was at the end, didn’t want the fight but couldn’t turn down the payday. His knees were done and he was very intimidated. Something that would’ve always been a factor, Spinks was a notorious slow starter. A “Thinker” in there. He always took a round or two to take a look at his opponent and try and figure them out, that would always be suicide against prime Mike Tyson. See his rematch with Larry Holmes he was shook badly at either the end of the first or second round with a right hand high up on the head. Spinks was an All time Great Light Heavyweight, but at Heavyweight though tricky, sensationally conditioned and awkward he was always up against it up there. I think he would’ve matched up well against many past and future heavyweight champs, but Tyson was all wrong for him. He boxed in his wonderfully awkward herky-jerky manner to break the rhythm of Larry Holmes in the first fight granted it was an aging Holmes. But I’m not sure he’d ever fare well against 1988 Tyson, many wouldn’t. I feel like at this point he is still massively underrated at the weight based on the effort vs Tyson. He was still able to run at least close to even in 2 fights against a 35 year old Holmes (I think he won both fights I know many don’t) Holmes showed years later that he could still beat top contenders like Ray Mercer at the age of 43 and give Oliver McCall a tough fight when he was clearly an old man at 45!! Point is Spinks wasn’t a bum at the weight as many seem to think but Tyson would probably always squash him.

rinsj, Clinton, Loudon and 2 others like this.
  6. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    I don't see it, but great point, Rules. Cheers

7. Moggy94

Moggy94 Active Member Full Member

Mar 25, 2021
    Nope Spinks didn't want to be anywhere near Tyson

8. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    The counterargument is right.

Pugguy likes this.
  9. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I think Conn would last longer too.

10. Turnip mk3

Turnip mk3 Active Member Full Member

Feb 6, 2021
    Fight the older post prison Tyson ! or put the 86 version of Spinks in the ring that night with some devil in him . He had skills defence and the Jinx to trouble mike. Tysons life was such a mess personally who knows what the man with a dream could do in the latter rnds

11. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Maybe. But we will have to agree to disagree

12. steve21

steve21 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Short of a time machine, back a year, or better two, no way - even if he'd stuck to his original game plan of moving and taking it to later rounds, he had no answer for Tyson's speed, power, and most of all, aggression. As has been said before, very few HWs in history would have dealt better. It was Mike's night, not Michael's -

13. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    So perhaps **** scared every fight but impossibly so v Mike? Jk., LOL.

14. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    For Michael’s maximum benefit, which arm gets tied or is it a much a muchness? If Mike can still throw those lightning fast combos with just one arm I’ll be gob smacked. Like Neo, I would have to say he is THE ONE.

15. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Michael would get notably more benefit if the left was tied, i think. It would also open up the closer left side of Tyson face. Having the left would give him more offensive variety i reckon!!! Maybe, possibly lol

Pugguy likes this.