Was there anyway Tyson vs Spinks could have been more competitive?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by MixedMartialLaw, Dec 23, 2021.

1. divac

divac VIP Member Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Spinks knees were shot. He needed to jab, pivot, and move vs Tyson and by that time in his career his injuries to his base , legs, knees, ankles, did'nt allow it.

Pugguy likes this.
  2. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    He threw I think 12 right-hand leads in that 91 seconds (which includes the amount of time he was down). He no doubt had a game plan and sought to execute it.

Once he was in the ring with a killer, I think fear got the better of him.

(Oh he legit got hit and stopped, I just think he was overwhelmed.)

3. Ali Holmes

Ali Holmes Active Member banned Full Member

Dec 23, 2021
    Negative. Peak Tyson's destiny was to be able to walk through any version of Spinks. Prime Tyson would be the graveyard of any light heavyweight moving north.

4. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Like many have said here, I can’t see Spinks being able to do anything to be more competitive.

Like someone else also said here, it was as resolute and fated a victory as Liston’s first match v Patterson, which was exactly reaffirmed in their rematch.

Not just for the challenge of facing a reputed puncher but also a stylistic/size diff. nightmare for the self aware Floyd and Michael only serving to add to any general fears they might’ve held anyway.

So, no way out for Spinks and a rematch say 6 months later, would’ve seen little better if at all for Michael whose worst fears were realised the first time around and those fears likely even harder to keep in check a second time around.

JohnThomas1 and Ali Holmes like this.
  5. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    The will totally owns boxing, there are many examples of the Will>Skill

But as for Spinks and Tyson are concerned- Spinks was utterly outgunned on every level.

6. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Come off it.

7. johnmaff36

johnmaff36 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Spinks, for whatever reason, had himself beat before he climbed into the ring. In fairness to him, that was a scary KO and near put his head through the canvas. Could he have done better? Sure he could have, he had the ability and awkward style to make it somewhat competitive and was probably the biggest 'question mark' fight out there at the time for Tyson. I feel a bit sorry for Spinks, who was a fine fighter himself. He seems to receive more flak for this than what Tyson gets plaudits for a great win. Sadly his legacy ,for the most part, seems to be this fight, which is a shame and plain wrong. Just my 2 cents

Ali Holmes and Entaowed like this.
  8. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Dianabol Mike might have had a better chance.

9. Ali Holmes

Ali Holmes Active Member banned Full Member

Dec 23, 2021
    Had Holyfield been the champion and Spinks had to fight Holyfield, it would have been a lot more competitive, although Holyfield likely would have stopped Spinks late. Had that happened, Spinks would be remembered more fondly by the general] public and ironically, it would have been seen as a much better win.