Wasserman Boxing / Sky Sports deal

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Astro, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Astro

Astro Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    I completely agree. Simply do not understand why BOXXER got this deal with Sky Sports? However, I will not judge right now but wait until 2023 before I give my verdict on Boxxer / Sky Sports.

2. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    It's essentially a health and safety issue. The levels of security that need to be on hand should Kalle go feral are both expensive to maintain and draining on the personnel involved. Levels of sickness absence are high, trained therapists need to be on hand. For those that witness a transformation it's probably 50/50 if they'll ever work again. Then there's the need to provide livestock for his feeding. It's likely therefore that Kalle will only be released from the chamber for PPV or WBSS final events. :(

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  3. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Has it ever generated a profit? As a fan I loved it, but looking from outside it looked like a money pit for the investors?

velagod, Wizbit1013 and sniffmybadger like this.
  4. Trafford

Trafford Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Agree...

Too many promoters with vested interests that wanted it to fail or didnt want their guy to lose the 0 etc.

Only way i think it works long term is that someone invests mental money over a long period until it eventually holds prestige and has a history. If it kept ticking along for 10/15 years you would have 20 odd winners that you could point to and show some prestige.

Only other way it works is have it run by the WBC, WBO, WBA and IBF. Form an alliance to say that every year they will call an undisputed tournament on a revolving basis starting at Heavyweight and minimumweight for instance then cruiser and light fly. All fights to take place within 6 months and are agreed on a sealed purse bid basis. Besides that i think theres too many vested interests

unfriendlyorchid and Holler like this.
  5. im sparticus

im sparticus He's a good kid. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    The Shalom's...I'm assuming the post your questioning is hinting at the Jewish connection

Willis Brown likes this.
  6. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
  7. nurological

nurological Boxing Addict Full Member

May 25, 2012
    They sort of screwed themselves from a TV standpoint as they insisted that broadcasters had to take the whole package.. They ended up giving it to ITV for next to nothing anyway, no idea why they didnt just do that with Sky? Presume because of the Matchroom deal so there werent enough slots? no idea. @Trafford is that right? I know their stance softened after a while.
    WBSS feels like such a missed opporunity for boxing its easily the best thing to happen to the sport in a long time.

Holler likes this.
  8. Astro

Astro Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    I thought this prospects show was live on Sky Sports...?

9. aaaaa

aaaaa Ash Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    There’s only one man that should have the Sky right and that is Sir Frank.

Jurgen likes this.
  10. No idea

No idea Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2021
    That would be some resurrection

aaaaa likes this.
  11. Astro

Astro Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    Some of the most memorable boxing events I have seen on Sky Sports through the years were big boxing events by Frank Warren and I really would love to see Frank Warren back on Sky Sports with 6-8 dates a year (if Warren is done on BT Sport now that DAZN has acquired it).

aaaaa likes this.
  12. aaaaa

aaaaa Ash Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Best comeback since Craig David.