WBC Convention

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Guy Nicho, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Guy Nicho

Guy Nicho Member Full Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Well while a lot on here are sitting here criticising them for how poorly their doing their jobs Eddie/Bellew/Joe G and Callum Smith over in Miami living the dream.

Im not one for jumping in to heavy with the praise or the criticism like to keep it level playing, but even on twitter see people diving on them photo's giving out abuse, has to be a problem with anyone who can't just say you know what fair play well done.

2. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    To be fair, the idea of Eddie and Joe Gallagher having fun at some free convention whilst they arrange for WBC trinket fights against no marks for their fighters doesn't make me too buzzed really

Brixton Bomber and Sugar 88 like this.
  3. Guy Nicho

Aug 1, 2016
    It's not about being buzzed necessarily, I just think particularly the 2 you've named get a lot of undue OTT abuse, both obviously very good at what they do and as you would in any role let alone one so high profile both make mistakes. But reading this and other sites/twitter at times you'd think they'd achieved nothing and any man off the street could do better. I'll be honest I'd cut my arm off to be over there mixing with the greats

4. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Well, I can kinda see why. Joe G comes across as very arrogant at times and we know how Hearn (like most promoters) spouts BS and contradicts himself a lot - it's to be expected really. Even more so for Joe G when he gets a lot of praise from within the Matchroom camp despite falling short at world level. I think it's more the bias than anything else

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  5. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
  6. Guy Nicho

Aug 1, 2016
    Yeah I can see why people dive on it just struggle why they seem to take his arrogance quite so personally. Joe G is obviously a very good coach, whether he likes it or not has certainly made mistakes in big fights, I remember him saying himself possibly prior to becoming quite so confident in himself that he felt he cost Crolla v Matthews with wrong advice but has pretty much kept counsel on Quigg v Frampton. Hearn again as you say sometimes their selling something they don't believe in but definitely successful as a promoter, done a lot for British boxing but again for sure dropped ricks no doubt.

7. T_S_A_R

T_S_A_R Member Full Member

Jan 9, 2011
    There's a lot of **** on the internet which has nothing to do with sport.

Guys getting wound up about PPV. Fanboy wars eg GGG vs Canelo, Floyd vs Pac.

In the UK it's moaning about 'casuals' and Eddie Hearn.

8. Guy Nicho

Aug 1, 2016
    Yeah your right. Without casuals there is no real boxing it's as simple as that, there isn't enough hardcore fans to pay all the top fighters wages, so their needed but some seem to take great offence to what they class as casuals

9. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    I don't have a problem with casuals because of the reason you gave, its just irritating when they start talking about boxing when they haven't got a clue, and you can always tell a casual boxing fan, its not like a sport like football where you can blag it

10. Guy Nicho

Aug 1, 2016
    Oh yeah at times you have to bite the tongue, lot of my friends tell me how it is and have no involvement in the game or any real understanding outside of maybe 4/5 big names, frustrating on occasion